Palak Chole Masala, a north indian style curry which can be served with any indian bread variety like naan, kulcha, roti etc.. This curry tastes similar to the Dhaba Style Curries. I have used fresh homemade punjabi garam masala which gives unique flavor. You can also add Paneer / Cottage Cheese Cubes to the curry. But since we are using pressure cooker here, so add paneer before removing the curry from heat and let it cook for sometime. For additional flavors, try adding kasuri methi.
How to prepare Palak Chole Masala
Palak Chole Masala | Spinach & Chickpeas Curry
a north indian style curry which can be served with any indian bread variety like naan, kulcha, roti etc.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: north indian
- 1 cup Chickpeas / Kabuli Channa – soaked overnight in water
- 1 cup Spinach Puree
- 2 medium sized onions – finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 medium sized tomato – finely chopped
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp punjabi garam masala
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Pressure cook channa with 2 cup water for 4-5 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cook. Drain the water and reserve it for later use. Divide chickpeas into two halves.
- Reserve one half for later use and grind another half in a mixer to coarse paste. Add little water and grind it. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Temper cloves, bay leaf and cumin seeds. Add chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste. Fry for a min.
- Add chopped tomatoes and stir well. Now, Add cooked channa, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Stir well everything.
- Add spinach puree and ground channa paste. Now, Add garam masala, asofoetida and salt to taste. Mix well everything.
- Add reserved water and another 1 or 2 cup water according to your need. Close the lid and cook for 2-3 whistles. Remove from the heat and serve with roti or any indian bread variety.