Palak Dal Rasam / Keerai Paruppu Rasam, today I’m sharing another variation of regular rasam which can be prepared with spinach puree or any other keerai variety. As we know rasam is good for health and also light to tummy, make it more healthy with an addition of spinach along with cooked toor dal. Serve it either with hot cooked rice or just sip it as soup.
I felt photos have come really bad either because of my bad mood or it was difficult to shoot rasam on a brown board. Whatever it is, but i really enjoyed the rasam with Boiled Egg Fry and Sambar Sadam / Rice.
How to prepare Keerai Paruppu Rasam
Palak Dal Rasam | Keerai Paruppu Rasam
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Soup
Cuisine: South Indian
- ½ cup Spinach / Palak Puree
- ½ cup cooked & mashed Toor Dal / Split Pigeon Peas / Tuvaram Paruppu
- small lemon sized tamarind ball
- 1 tomato
- 3 garlic flakes
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 3 dry red chilies
- asofoetida – a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 stick curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Soak tamarind, mashed dal and tomato in 1 cup water for 30 mins. Later, squeeze both tamarind pulp and tomato and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilies. Add cumin seeds and garlic flakes. Saute a while.
- Add asofoetida and pepper powder. Saute a while. Add spinach puree, turmeric powder and 1 cup water. Let it cook for 2 mins on low-medium flame.
- Once raw smell goes, add dal-tamarind-tomato squeezed water and salt to taste. Add more water if needed and let it boil. Garnish with chopped coriander and remove from the heat. Serve it with rice.