Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Varuval, a sweet and spicy version of potato fry which can be enjoyed with curd rice or rasam rice.
I follow various methods to prepare potato fry. This is first time i tried Sweet Potato with some spices. I got this idea from a regional cookery show. But i made use of regular set of ingredients used to prepare Potato Varuval. This varuval was spicy and also sweet.
In another method, you can try adding sambar powder instead of red chili powder. Just skip cumin seeds and pepper powder. Instead add fennel seeds while tempering mustard seeds. There are various ways to prepare simple potato varuval with variation in ingredients. Lets check the recipe,
Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Varuval Recipe Card
Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Varuval
a sweet and spicy version of potato fry which can be enjoyed with curd rice or rasam rice.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Side
Cuisine: south indian
- 3-4 Sweet Potatoes
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 stick curry leaves
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- ½ tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Pressure cook sweet potatoes with enough water for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Drain the water completely.
- Peel off the skin and cut the potatoes into round slices or dice into cubes. Keep them aside. Heat 1 or 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add chopped potatoes and saute a while. Switch to low flame. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, asofoetida and salt to taste.
- Saute a while and cook it covered on low flame for 8-10 mins. Stir it frequently since we are not adding water. Add pepper powder and sprinkle 1 tsp lemon juice if needed.
- Stir well and cook for another 2 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rasam rice.