|Sankara Meen Kuzhambu / Red Snapper Fish Curry|
Sankara Meen Kuzhambu, a spicy and tangy fish curry based on tamarind. You can also add ground coconut to make this curry thick and creamy. This is a basic fish curry preparation which can be tried with any fish varieties. Usually i don’t use Sankara Fish to prepare curries as i like it more when fried. For a change i tried it in curry and really liked it.
I have added raw fish in curry but you can also add fried fish to the curry and reduce the cooking time accordingly. Here i have used podi sankara (small fish), so instead of cutting it into pieces, i used it as whole. If you get medium sized or big sized Snapper, cut it into 2-3 pieces and use to prepare curry.
Sankara Meen Kuzhambu Recipe Card
Sankara Meen Kuzhambu | Red Snapper Fish Curry
a spicy and tangy fish curry based on tamarind.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South Indian
- 4 Red Snapper / Sankara Meen – Cleaned & Washed
- small lemon sized tamarind ball – soaked in 1 cup water
- 2 onions- finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes – finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp saunf / fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds / vendayam
- salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp gingelly oil (or) any cooking oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 kalpasi / black stone flower
- To Marinate Fish :
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 tsp sambar powder
- salt to taste
- Marinate fish and keep it aside for 30 mins. Heat oil in a non-stick pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and kalpasi.
- Add chopped onions and cook for a min on low flame. Now, add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp.
- Now, Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Stir well and add tamarind squeezed water. Mix well everything and add little salt.
- Cook it covered for 2 mins. Add 2 cup water and cook for another 8-10 mins till raw smell goes. Now, Add Marinated Fish and salt to taste. Cook it covered on low flame till fish gets cooked which may take another 10-15 mins. Serve hot with rice or idli or dosa.