Kambu Innipu Pidi Kozhukattai / Bajra Modak, a traditional and healthy sweet kozhukattai variety made from Kambu / Pearl Millet. This is very easy to prepare and doesn’t require much work. You can serve this for breakfast or as evening snacks.
I got this recipe from my grandma long time back and was waiting to try it for this Vinayaga Chaturthi. You can even try this with Kambu Flour / Maavu, but the fresh ground millet flour gives you nice aroma. It is not necessary to steam these kozhukattai, you can have it as it is when mixed with jaggery and water.
Kambu Innipu Pidi Kozhukattai | Bajra Modak | Pearl Millet Dumplings
a traditional and healthy sweet kozhukattai variety made from Kambu / Pearl Millet.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: south indian
- 1 and ½ cup Kambu / Bajra / Pearl Millet
- 1 cup grated jaggery or palm jaggery / karupati
- chopped dry fruits – optional
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp chopped coconut bits – optional
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Kambu Pidi Kozhukattai
- Dry roast Kambu in a pan or kadhai. Make sure to not burn the millets. Remove from the heat once nice aroma comes and the grains turn crispy. Allow to cool completely.
- Grind it in a mixer in small batches to coarse powder like rava / semolina consistency. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Add cardamom powder. Add chopped coconut or dry nuts if needed. Mix well. Add grated jaggery and break the lumps if there are any.
- Mix everything well with your fingers. Add 2 tbsp hot or cold water at a time and make crumbles of the mixture. We need not form a dough. Just make sure the mixture is wet enough to make balls. The balls should hold the shape and do not break.
- Grease idli plates and place kozhukattai. Steam cook for 10-15 mins on medium flame. Remove from the heat and serve hot/cold.