Moong Dal Sambar (Paasi Paruppu / Siru Paruppu Sambar), a tiffin sambar variety which is made watery and goes well with idli or dosa. I have too many recipes to be shared and all of them are in draft. So along with new recipes, i shall be updating recipes from draft. Today’s special recipe is Moong Dal Sambar or you can call it simply as Tiffin Sambar with Moong Dal. Though in road side hotels or restaurants, they also add little bit jaggery, but i never used jaggery in sambar except for Udipi Sambar.
I like to add drumstick and potatoes in sambar as they give additional taste. You can even add carrot and beans, but it will take it to different level. If you are preparing this sambar for tiffin / breakfast / dinner, then keep it simple and don’t add any vegetables. It will still be tasty.
Moong Dal Sambar
a tiffin sambar variety which is made watery and goes well with idli or dosa.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: south indian
- ½ cup Moong Dal / Paasi Paruppu / Siru Paruppu / Green Gram – washed
- 2 drumsticks – chopped
- 1 potato – diced into cubes
- lemon sized tamarind ball – soaked in 1 cup water for 30 mins
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 1 tomato – chopped
- 2-3 garlic flakes
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Sambar Powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Tiffin Sambar
- Pressure cook mung dal and garlic flakes with 1 cup water for 2-3 whistles. Remove form the heat and allow to cool. Mash the dal and keep aside. Squeeze tamarind and discard the pulp. Keep the tamarind water aside.
- Heat 1 or 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and saute a while.
- Now, Add chopped tomatoes and saute a while. Add chopped potato and drumstick. Stir well. Add mashed dal, turmeric powder and sambar powder. Stir well everything.
- Add tamarind water, asofoetida and salt to taste. Mix everything and add 2 cup water or more according to your need. Close the lid and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Serve this with rice, idli or dosa.