Murungai Keerai Sambar / Drumstick Leaves Curry, a healthy South-Indian style curry made from toor dal & drumstick leaves. As we know Drumstick Leaves is healthy and has got all the nutritional benefits like rich in vitamins, calcium, iron, protein and so on.. It is totally mandatory at my home to include this green leaf at-least once a week. And our family doctor always pushes us to include this in our daily diet.
Usually i prepare only Thoran with this leaf, but later my mom suggested to try Sambar. You can store this leaf in refrigerator for 5-6 days and prepare Thoran, Sambar, Soup or Masala Baath. Or try this healthy Ragi Roti with Drumstick Leaves. Lets move on to the recipe,
Drumstick Leaves / Murungai Keerai Sambar | Healthy Green Leaf Recipes
a healthy South-Indian style curry made from toor dal & drumstick leaves.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South Indian
- 1 cup Drumstick Leaves / Murungai Keerai – stems removed
- ¾ cup Toor Dal / Tuvaram Paruppu / Split Pigeon Peas
- lemon sized tamarind ball – soaked in 1 cup water for 30 mins
- 2-3 garlic flakes
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 1 tomato – chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Drumstick Leaves Sambar
- Squeeze tamarind pulp and strain the water. Keep it aside. Pressure cook Dal, tomato, garlic flakes with 2 cup water for 3-4 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mash dal and keep it aside. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds & curry leaves. Add chopped onions and fry for a min on low flame.
- Add this tempering to mashed dal. Mix well. Add drumstick leaves, turmeric powder and sambar powder. Mix well.
- Add tamarind pulp squeezed water, asofoetida and salt to taste. Add 1 or 2 cup water or more if needed. Mix well everything and close the lid.
- Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Serve this hot with idli, dosa or rice.
Check out Other Sambar Varieties in my blog,
- Udupi Sambar
- Uppu Sambar / Payatham Paruppu Sambar
- Brahmi Leaves / Vallarai Keerai Sambar
- Moong Dal Sambar (Paasi Paruppu / Siru Paruppu Sambar)
- Mulaikattiya Payatham Paruppu Sambar / Sprouted Moong Dal Sambar
- Mulangi Sambar (Radish Sambar)
- Brinjal & Drumstick Sambar – without onion
- Bombay Sambar
- Raw Mango-Nookal Sambar
- Dry Chilli Sambar
- Round Cucumber Sambar
- Peerkkanga Masial Sambar
- Tinda & Nookal Sambar