Thengai Sadam / South Indian Style Coconut Rice, a traditional variety rice which makes a quick lunch fix on busy days. All you need to do is cook rice and mix with stir fried grated coconut. This rice is rich in flavor and can be enjoyed very well with potato fry / varuval.
I totally forgot about this rice variety, then when my husband asked me to prepare this as we have lots of coconut at home, which we brought on our recent native visit. I’m always lazy to use coconut scraper, so instead I chop the coconut pieces and grind them in a mixer. This method saves lot of time for me. Lets move on to the recipe,
Thengai Sadam | South Indian Style Coconut Rice | Easy Lunch Box Recipes
a traditional variety rice which makes a quick lunch fix on busy days.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South Indian
- 1 and ½ cup cooked raw rice (or) basmati rice
- 1 cup grated coconut
- one tsp urad dal / ultham paruppu / black gram
- 1 tsp channa dal / kadala paruppu / bengal gram
- 3-4 dry red chilies
- 1 tbsp roasted peanuts (or) cashew nuts – optional
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Coconut Rice at home
- Heat 2-3 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds. Add black gram and bengal gram. Saute a while. Add peanuts, curry leaves and broken red chilies. Saute a while.
- Add grated coconut and stir well. Cook till all the moisture is absorbed and coconut becomes dry. Add salt to taste.
- Add cooked rice and mix well with coconut. Serve this rice with pickle and potato fry or any other veg side dish.
Check out other Rice Varieties shared in my blog,
- Ellu Puli Saadam / Sesame Seeds & Tamarind Rice – Easy Lunch Box Recipes
- Vetrilai Poondu Saadam (Betel Leaves & Garlic Rice)
- Poondu Maanga Saadam / Garlic & Raw Mango Rice
- Amla Rice / Nellikai Sadam
- Puliyodharai (Tamarind Rice)
- Ellu Saadam (Rice flavored with Sesame Seeds)
- Instant Tomato Rice / Thakkali Sadam – Pressure Cooker
- Lemon Rice – using lemon salt
- Raw Mango Rice / Maanga Saadam