Maida Mullu Murukku / Chakli, another regular murukku variety made from maida flour similar to rice flour murukku. I’m not a big fan of Maida Murukku or any other murukku variety other than Ring Murukku, but my husband loves them very much. So most often we end up buying these from shops. To avoid that, I’m trying to prepare murukku at home, which will be somewhat healthy and better than the store-bought.
Maida is steam cooked to make it powdery like rice flour. The three dals added make it more crispy. It is not necessary to add all the three. You can try adding any one or two. You can even add ground peanut powder to give nice flavor. But that would become too crowdy 🙂 Maida Murukku absorbs oil while frying, so make sure to drain the excess oil from murukku using absorbent tissue paper.
Maida Mullu Murukku | Chakli
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Snacks
- 500 gms Maida / All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp siru paruppu / moong dal / split yellow gram
- 1 tbsp urad dal / ultham paruppu / black gram
- 2 tbsp pottukadalai / chutney gram / roasted gram / dalia
- 2 tbsp til / sesame seeds – soaked in ½ cup water
- red chili powder – according to your need
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp warm oil + 1 tbsp melted ghee (ghee is optional)
- warm water to knead
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Maida Mullu Murukku
- Sieve Maida flour and steam cook for 40-50 mins. For steam cooking, fill the vessel (idli cooker or steamer) with enough water. Spread flour on a clean cloth and keep it over provided plate. Cook it on low-medium flame and check for the water level after 20 mins. If water is reduced, then add warm water in the vessel and cook again.
- Take the steam cooked flour carefully from the cloth and add it in a wide mixing bowl. Break the the lumps formed with ladle, since flour will be very hot to handle with bare hands. Sieve the flour again.
- Grind pottukadalai in a mixer to smooth powder. Keep it aside. Roast urad dal and moong dal separately and grind them in a mixer to smooth powder. Keep it aside.
- Combine maida flour, urad dal powder, moong dal powder, pottukadalai powder, red chili powder, soaked til along with water and salt in a wide mixing bowl.
- Mix well everything. Add enough warm water and knead to smooth dough. Add warm oil and ghee. Knead it again and keep aside for 5-10 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan or kadai on low flame. Take murukku press and fill it with portion of dough. Press it on a newspaper to form round swirls. Prepare it till oil gets hot.
- To check oil, drop a pinch of dough in oil and it should come up immediately. Change the flame to low-medium and deep fry the swirls in batches.
- Fry till it turns golden brown and oil sizzling sound stops. Remove carefully from oil and drain the excess oil using an absorbent tissue paper. Store in an airtight container and serve.