Vallarai Keerai Kollu Podi, an aromatic and flavorful Herbal Green Leaf Powder which can be enjoyed very well with cooked rice, idli or dosa. It has got an additional flavor of Kollu / Horse gram to make it more nutritious.
The shell life of podi is more than a month if refrigerated. So make it in big batches which comes handy most of the times. For better flavor, try to use either ghee / clarified butter or gingelly oil when mixing with rice. I have not added garlic here. Some like to add garlic along with other ingredients for nice aroma, instead I like to saute it in oil and mix with rice and podi. You can try any method. The below mentioned quantity yields 1 and 1/2 cup Podi.
Vallarai Keerai Kollu Podi | Brahmi Leaves & Horsegram Powder
an aromatic and flavorful Herbal Green Leaf Powder which can be enjoyed very well with cooked rice, idli or dosa.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Basics
Cuisine: South Indian
- 2 bunch Vallarai Keerai (Indian pennywort / Brahmi Leaves)
- 2 stick curry leaves
- ¼ cup Kollu / Horsegram / Ulava – cleaned
- 2 tbsp urad dal / ultham paruppu / black gram
- 2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 5-6 dry red chilies
- asofoetida / hing – a pinch
- salt to taste
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Vallarai Keerai Podi
- Clean brahmi leaves and let it dry in shadow for 2-3 days. No need to keep it under sunlight. Dry roast brahmi leaves and curry leaves in a pan or kadai. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Dry roast kollu in the same pan for few seconds. Dry roast urad dal and cumin seeds till they turn golden brown. Remove from the heat and keep aside.
- Now roast red chilies till they become crisp. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind everything in a mixer to smooth powder. Add asofoetida and salt to taste. Grind it again and keep
aside. Store in an airtight container. Mix little oil / ghee with podi and serve with idli, dosa or cooked rice.
Other Vallarai Keerai recipes shared in my space,
- Baked Vallarai Keerai Vadai
- Brahmi Leaves Sambar
- Vallarai Keerai Paruppu Kootu
- Vallarai Keerai Cutlet