Beets, Walnut & Whole Wheat BreadRecipe, a simple yet aromatic Beets Bread, with a mild touch of honey and walnuts to give sweet and crunchy taste. I have also added nutmeg powder to give nice aroma.
On our recent trip to Munnar (Kerala), I got to try some fresh beetroots with leaves. My refrigerator is loaded with Beets now and I’m trying to use it in my cooking as much as possible. I had bookmarked this recipe from Chinmayie‘s space and also made few changes according to our taste.
Beetroot & Honey Bread
a simple yet aromatic Beets Bread, with a mild touch of honey and walnuts to give sweet and crunchy taste.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
- 2 cup wheat flour
- 1 medium sized beetroot – grated
- 2 tsp yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar / honey / jaggery / brown sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup lukewarm water
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup chopped walnut
- 2-3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder – optional
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Beetroot Honey Bread
- Take lukewarm water and mix sugar. Make sure it is dissolved completely. Add yeast and stir it. Close it and keep aside for 10 mins till it becomes frothy. Add milk to it and mix well.
- Meanwhile, sieve flour, nutmeg powder and salt. Combine in a wide mixing bowl. Add honey and mix well.
- Add grated beets and mix well. Since we are using grated beets, make sure to mix well with the flour to avoid lumps. When all the beets strands are coated with flour, add chopped walnuts.
- Add frothy yeast to it and mix with the spoon. The dough will be sticky. Use hands and knead it for 5-10 mins. Add little flour and knead to a smooth dough. Grease it with little oil.
- Take a bowl and grease with little oil. Now keep the dough in bowl and cover it with a neat kitchen towel. Keep it in a warm place for 1-2 hours (or you can preheat oven for 2 mins and keep the bowl inside).
- The dough will double up in size. Punch the dough down and knead until smooth. Either place this in a greased loaf pan or just shape it to any form and place on a greased baking tray. Keep it in a warm place and let it rise for another 30-40 mins.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C for 10 mins. Keep the baking tray in middle rack and bake for 25-30 mins. The time varies for each oven. Transfer bread to a cooling rack and let it cool down completely. Slice it and serve.
Other Bread Recipes using Whole Wheat Flour,