Beetroot Jowar Roti / Flat-bread Recipe, I’m sharing an another easy roti variety made from grated beetroot. I have used only 1/2 cup jowar flour as I had only this much in pantry. Otherwise, you can use half ratio of wheat and jowar flour.
Other variations which you can try are using beets puree or adding raw grated beets along with the dough. As I don’t like the raw smell of beets, I have cooked till all the moisture is absorbed from beets. You can even add grated carrots along with beets to make it colorful. I have this habit of dusting more flour on roti, so the red color is not visible.
Beetroot Jowar Roti
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
- 1 and ½ cup wheat flour
- ½ cup jowar flour / sorghum / cholam
- 1 medium sized beetroot – grated
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder / jeera
- salt to taste
- water to knead
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Beets Jowar Roti
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Cook grated beetroot till all the moisture is absorbed and remove from the heat. Keep it aside.
- Sieve wheat and jowar flour. Combine flours, salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin powder and cooked beetroot in a mixing bowl.
- Add enough water and knead to a smooth dough. Now, Add 1 tsp oil and knead it. Close it and keep aside for 30 mins.
- Take the dough and divide into equal sized balls. Take a ball and roll it using roller pin. It should not be too thick or too thin.
- Heat a tava or frying pan. Grease with little oil/ghee. Cook roti till brown spots appear on both the sides. Proceed with the remaining balls. Serve roti with raita and pickle.