Karuvepillai Baby Corn Masala, a south-Indian style twist to regular baby corn masala, cooked to perfection with curry leaves and coriander seeds masala. This is one flavorful masala which I’ve tried with rajma / kidney beans, paneer, egg, chicken, mutton and prawn. Though we are using same masala, the taste differs when combined with any of the above mentioned ingredients. Lets check the recipe,
Karuvepillai Baby Corn Masala
a south-Indian style twist to regular baby corn masala, cooked to perfection with curry leaves and coriander seeds masala.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Side
Cuisine: South Indian
- To Grind :
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped tomato
- 20 curry leaves
- For Curry :
- 1 cup chopped baby corn (cooked in water for 10 mins)
- 1 capsicum – chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 medium sized onion – chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato – chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp fennel / saunf
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Karuvepillai Baby Corn Masala
- Dry roast coriander seeds, peppercorns and curry leaves till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadai. Fry onions and tomatoes for 2 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind roasted masala, onion and tomatoes in a mixer to smooth paste adding 1 or 2 tbsp water. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. Temper mustard seeds, fennel seeds and curry leaves. Now, add chopped onions and cook for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste. Mash the tomato pulp. Add baby corn, turmeric powder, chili powder and ground masala. Stir well everything.
- Add chopped capsicum, salt and 1-2 cup water. Mix everything and cook it covered on low-medium flame for 10-15 mins. Serve with roti / chapati or rice.
Recipes prepared with Curry Leaves as main Ingredient,
- Karuveppilai Paruppu Podi (Curry Leaves & Dal Powder)
- Kozhi Kari (Chicken & Curry Leaves Curry)
- Karuveppilai Kuzhambu
- Karuvepillai Aatu Kari Thokku / Mutton & Curry Leaves Gravy
- Kozhi Varuval (Chicken Fry – Flavored with Curry Leaves)
- Karuvepillai Rajma Masala
- Eral Thokku (Prawns & Curry Leaves Gravy)