Murgh Channa Dal Recipe / Chicken & Bengal Gram Curry, this curry is loaded with too many flavors of channa dal, mint leaves and fresh ground masala.
It tastes similar to Dalcha, as we have used lentils. Similarly, you can try this curry with mutton. This curry can be served aside biriyani, pulao, steamed rice, ghee rice or with roti / chapati. I have slightly modified the recipe of Naatu Kozhi Kuzhambu and made few changes to bring out the rich flavor of channa dal.
I prepared this curry for the first time when i visited my mom place. We served this with Chicken Biriyani. And after getting positive feedback from everyone, I decided to try this again and enjoyed with Beets Bread.
This curry will get thicker as we have added cooked channa dal. So if you need slightly thin curry, then adjust the amount of water. I made it little thick to accompany Bread and Roti. If you are looking for other varieties of Chicken curries, then do check 80+ indian style chicken recipes. Lets check the recipe,
Murgh Channa Dal Recipe
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
- 200 gms Chicken (you can also try with Country Chicken / Naatu Kozhi)
- 3 tbsp channa dal / bengal gram / kadalai paruppu
- ¼ cup chopped pearl onion / sambar vengayam
- 1 tomato – finely chopped
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 tbsp gingelly oil / sesame seeds oil (or) coconut oil
- 8-10 curry leaves
- To Grind :
- 1 medium sized onion – chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ¼ cup chopped coconut
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Murg Channa Dal
- Marinate chicken with turmeric powder and keep aside for 10 mins. Soak bengal gram in enough water for 1 hour. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Fry onions till it turns golden brown. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Grind fried onions with coconut and coriander powder in a mixer to smooth paste. Add 1 or 2 tbsp water and grind again. Keep the paste aside.
- Pressure cook bengal gram with 1 cup water for 2-3 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Heat oil in a pan or kadhai.
- Tamper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and saute a while. Add chopped tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste.
- Mash the pulp and add marinated chicken. Cook it covered on low-medium flame for 5 mins. Add ground masala paste, chili powder and salt to taste.
- Now, Add 1 cup water and mix well. Cook it covered for 15 mins on low-flame. Add cooked channa dal, mint leaves and garam masala. Now, Add more water if needed and adjust the salt. Cook it covered again for another 10 mins. Serve hot with rice or roti.