How to make Wheat Pita Bread at home using Stove Top / Gas Stove Method, sharing step by step photos for your easy reference. Now we can prepare this delicious Pita Bread at home without depending on oven / OTG. If you have guest coming to home or organizing any party, then prepare this dough in advance and store in refrigerator. These are very soft and pita pockets can be efficiently used to stuff kebab, tikka, masala or salad and served as snacks.
I have used wheat flour and still it was very soft. My breads puffed up to certain level and then gone flat because of cracks. I’m yet to expertise in making perfect puffed up roti / poori 🙂 Do not worry if your pita bread doesn’t puff up, it will still be delicious and use it to prepare rolls. I had prepared Paneer Tikka and used it as stuffing along with tomato and onion slices and mint-coriander chutney.
Some of the stuffing which you can try,
Homemade Pita Bread - Stove Top Method
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
- 2 cup wheat flour (or use maida / all purpose flour)
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar / honey
- warm water
- salt to taste
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Pita Bread
- Take 1/2 cup lukewarm water and mix sugar. Make sure it is dissolved completely. Add yeast and stir it. Close it and keep aside for 10 mins till it becomes frothy.
- Meanwhile, sieve wheat flour and salt. Add frothy yeast to it and mix with the wooden spoon or spatula. Add more more warm water if needed. The dough will be sticky. Sprinkle wheat flour and knead.
- Take a bowl and grease with little oil. Now keep the dough in bowl and cover it with a neat kitchen towel. Keep it in a warm place for 1-2 hours (or you can preheat oven for 2 mins and keep the bowl inside).
- The dough will double up in size. Punch the dough down and knead until smooth. Add more wheat flour if needed and knead to smooth dough.
- If you want to store the dough for later use, then wrap it in plastic sheet and keep in refrigerator. Otherwise, make smalls of the dough and keep it covered for 30 mins. I kept it in refrigerator as I had to prepare this bread only for dinner. Remove dough from refrigerator and keep at room temperature for at least 2 hrs before starting preparation.
- Take a ball and dust with flour. Using a roller pin, prepare roti or poori sized rounds. Don’t roll it too thin or too thick. Now, you can either cover these rolled bread with kitchen cloth or use tissue paper.
- Heat a skillet pan or tava / non-stick pan. Place a bread over tava and switch the flame to medium. When bubbles starts appearing, turn the bread to other side. It will start puffing up. Cook till brown spots both the sides and remove from the heat. Proceed with the remaining breads. You can use this bread to either prepare rolls or use their pockets to stuff tikka, kebab or masala.