I have been planning to post a video on how to clean prawn for so long. Finally I got a chance to create one. Cleaning Prawns is a tedious job which requires patience. Removing the shells is somewhat easier, but pulling off the vein is time consuming one.
Initially it took me around half an hour to clean 250 gms of prawns, but now it takes only 10-13 mins to clean them completely. You can make the work easier by following two steps. First is to remove the shells of all the prawns and then second step is to devein. I hope the step by step photos and the video will help the people who think cleaning prawns is a rocket science.
In restaurants, you could see that grilled prawns or barbequed ones would be served along with the tails attached. The tails make it easier to hold the prawns. So you can clean the prawns accordingly with the recipe in your mind.
There are two veins in prawn and people often get confused with which one to remove or some cleans both the veins. The vein present in the upper part of flesh has to be removed. You can post your queries in the comment section or just mail me if you still have any doubts. If you are looking for Indian Style Prawn Recipes, then do check my post with the collection of more than 20 varieties of prawn recipes.
- 250 gms Prawn / Eral / Jhinga
- Clean prawns with the help of your fingers. You do not need knife to do the job. Take a prawn and remove the head. You can either throw the head part or use it to prepare stock.
- Next step is to hold its tail tightly and carefully pull off, so the lower section of shell will come off easily. Just hold the tail section tightly and squeeze. If the flesh comes out along with shell, you can easily remove it.
- Now it would be easier to pull off the remaining shell. Scrape the legs of prawn. It will help in to remove the shell easily similar to peeling garlic.
- To devein prawn, you can either use knife to make a slight cut on the upper part of flesh or just scrape the flesh lightly and pull off the vein.
- Proceed with other prawns and clean everything properly. Wash them in running tap water. If you are going to cook them immediately, then soak them in 1/4 tsp turmeric added water for 15 mins. Other wise, wash the prawns and marinate with little turmeric powder and store in an airtight container. Keep it in refrigerator and cook when needed. Remember to keep the prawns at room temp for at-least 1 hour before cooking.