Karuveppilai Eral Varuval, a very aromatic Prawn Masala flavored with Curry Leaves. This is a simple preparation where prawns are marinated with fresh ground masala and cooked to perfection.
My regular blog readers would be knowing my love towards curry leaves. I experiment a lot with curry leaves and mostly with non-veg recipes. Do check some of the recipes shared in my blog such as, Karuveppilai Kozhi Kari, Karuveppilai Eral Thokku, Karuveppilai Baby Corn Masala, Karuveppilai Aatu Kari Thokku, Karuveppilai Rajma Masala and Karuveppilai Kozhi Varuval. Though same combination of masala are used in each recipe, it gives different taste when cooked with chicken, prawn, mutton or rajma.
On our recent trip to in-laws place, we got some cold pressed groundnut oil (organic) made from the peanuts grown in our farm. I have used fresh groundnut oil to prepare this masala and it gives such an awesome flavor. I hope you can guess how tasty it would be 🙂 You can also use coconut oil, sunflower oil or olive oil.
This masala can be served with any of the main course,
Karuveppilai Eral Varuval | Prawn Masala
a very aromatic Prawn Masala flavored with Curry Leaves.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Side
Cuisine: South Indian
- 250 gms Prawns / Shrimps / Chemmeen / Eral (shells removed and cleaned)
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp black pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp chopped coconut
- 40-50 curry leaves
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Karuveppilai Eral Varuval
- Marinate prawns with turmeric powder and keep aside for 10 mins. Meanwhile, grind chopped onion, ginger-garlic paste, 35-40 curry leaves and pepper powder to smooth paste without adding water.
- Transfer the paste to a mixing bowl. Add red chili powder, coriander powder, salt to taste and turmeric marinated prawns. Mix everything well and keep aside for 30 mins.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan or wok / kadai. Add remaining curry leaves and chopped coconut. Fry for a min on low flame till coconut turns golden brown.
- Add marinated prawns along with the masala and cook it covered for 15-20 mins till oil splits and raw smell of masala goes. Serve it hot with roti or rice.