Achari Gobhi & Brussels Sprouts, an aromatic and spicy stir fry flavored with pickling spices.It goes well with roti, phulka or any indian flat-bread variety. This is a no onion recipe. I had few left over brussels sprouts, so made use of them here. You can try this recipe with half the quantity of cauliflower and brussels sprouts. Cut the sprouts into 2-4 halves, this way the masala will get coated well inside.
Mostly, for achari preparation, either mustard oil or gingelly oil is used, both of them gives strong flavor. I have used organic groundnut oil which gives unique flavor. You can replace amchur powder with lemon juice. Instead of using cauliflower florets, you can use this spices to prepare roasted whole cauliflower.
Similar recipes made with achari powder,
Achari Gobhi & Brussels Sprouts
an aromatic and spicy stir fry flavored with pickling spices.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Side
Cuisine: North Indian
- 2 cup Cauliflower florets / Gobhi
- 4-5 Brussels Sprouts
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp amchur powder / dry mango powder
- 3-4 tbsp mustard oil / groundnut oil / gingelly oil
- To Roast & Grind : (Pickling Spices)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- ¼ tsp kalonji (onion seeds)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 dry red chilies
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Achari Gobi & Brussels Sprouts,
- Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned under “Pickling Spices” for few seconds till nice aroma comes. Make sure to not burn them. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind them together in a mixer to coarse powder. Keep it aside.
- Heat 3 cup water in pan and allow to boil. Remove from the heat and add brussels sprouts and cauliflower florets. Close it and keep aside for 5 mins. Drain the water completely. Keep cauliflower aside. You can cut the sprouts into two halves.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper mustard seeds. Add cauliflower and brussels sprouts. Stir well. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder and give a stir. Add achari spices powder, salt and amchur powder. Mix well everything and add 1/2 cup water. Cook it covered on low flame for 15-18 mins till all the water is completely absorbed and you get dry sabzi. Serve hot with roti or any indian flat-bread variety.