|Mutton Dalcha Recipe / Hyderabadi Style Mutton & Lentil Curry|
Mutton Dalcha, Hyderabad style Mutton and Red lentils curry flavored with indian spices. It is usually served with kuska or chicken / mutton biryani. I have used masoor dal, but you can replace it with toor dal / tuvaram paruppu or channa dal / kadala paruppu.
The cooking method can be applied to chicken or egg or any vegetables. It tastes even better on next day. I have refereed “Hyderabadi Khaana” cookbook by Nita Mehta. The process may seem complicated, but easy to follow. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback.
Other masoor dal based recipes,
Mutton Dalcha Recipe | Hyderabadi Style Mutton & Lentil Curry
Hyderabad style Mutton and Red lentils curry flavored with indian spices
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Hyderabadi, South Indian
- For Curry :
- 250 gms Mutton
- ¼ cup masoor dal / mysore paruppu / red lentils
- ¼ cup tamarind paste
- 1 medium sized onion – chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- ½ tsp shah jeera
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 green cardamom pods
- For Tempering :
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- ½ tsp methi dhana / fenugreek seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Mutton Dalcha
- Wash mutton and soak in water with a pinch of turmeric powder for 20 mins. Meanwhile, Pressure cook masoor dal with 1 cup water for 2 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Transfer cooked dal to a bowl. Heat pressure cooker and add 2 tbsp oi. Add cloves, cinnamon, shah jeera and cardamom pods. Saute a while. Add chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste. Stir well.
- Add washed and drained mutton. Stir well. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and little salt. Mix well everything. Add 1 cup water and close the lid. Pressure cook for 10 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Heat this again and add cooked dal. Stir well.
- Add tamarind paste, salt to taste and 1 cup water. Add more water if needed and close the lid. Cook for another 5 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. For tempering, heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil. Add all the ingredients mentioned under “Tempering”. Now, add cooked mutton and dal mixture to it. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with biryani, pulao or plain rice.