|Mutton Roganjosh / Kashmiri Style Lamb Curry Recipe|
Mutton Roganjosh, a very flavorful Kashmiri style Lamb Curry cooked on low heat for more than an hour. To reduce the cooking time, you can use pressure cooker and cook for 15-20 whistles. But slow cooking brings out more flavors and mutton gets cooked in its own juice.
“Rogan josh (or roghan josh), is the sine qua non of Kashmiri cuisine. Originally Rogan josh was brought to Kashmir by the Mughals. Outside Kashmir, it is usually served in its altered commercial form whereas the authentic dish is served by the classic Kashmiri Chefs (the Waza’s) and is rarely cooked outside Kashmir. It is one of the main dishes of Kashmiri Wazwan.
Characteristically, by Kashmiri interpretation, the name rogan josh is derived from the word rogan meaning color and josh meaning either passion or low-moderate heat and the dish classically involves slow cooking at moderate heat for prolonged period of time.” – Wikipedia
I have referred my “Chicken Roganjosh” recipe and altered few ingredients and the method of cooking. I have used only 300 gms of mutton which can serve 2-3 people. For large quantity, increase the measurements accordingly. To get better results, add fresh homemade masala which will give unique flavor to the dish.
Instead of mustard oil, I have used organic cold pressed groundnut oil which sure makes difference. If you do not get mustard oil, then try using groundnut oil, canola oil or any refined oil. I have not tried this with olive oil. I shall try it next time and update the result in this post.
Similar mutton curries without coconut,
Mutton Roganjosh | Kashmiri Style Lamb Curry Recipe
a very flavorful Kashmiri style Lamb Curry cooked on low heat for more than an hour.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Kashmiri, Indian
To Marinate :
- 300 gms Mutton
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ cup curd / yogurt
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder / dalchini powder
- 1 bayleaf
- 2 crushed green cardamom
- 1 tsp red chili powder
For Curry :
- 1 tsp sonth powder / dry ginger powder
- asofoetida / hing – a pinch
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp saunf powder / fennel powder
- 2-3 cup water
- 1 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- Please check the instructions below.
Instructions to prepare Mutton Roganjosh,
- Clean and wash mutton pieces. Soak it in enough water with a pinch of turmeric powder for 10 mins. Wash it again. Drain the water completely. Combine all the ingredients mentioned under “Marinate” in a mixing bowl. Close it and keep aside for 10 mins.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan. Add asofoetida and saunf powder. Now, add marinated mutton along with the masala. Stir well and cook it covered for 10-13 mins on low-medium flame. Now all the masala will be absorbed and oil will start leaving. At this stage, add 2 cup water and salt to taste. Stir well everything and cook it covered on low flame for 1 hour.
- Now, add dry ginger powder and garam masala. Adjust the salt and spice if more needed. Add 1 cup water and cook it covered for another 30-40 mins on low flame. Mutton will be cooked soft and you will get thick curry. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with roti, naan or cooked basmati rice.