|Prawn / Eral Masala Dosa|
Prawn Masala Dosa Recipe / Prawn Masala Crepe, I’m sharing another Dosa variety which is easy to prepare. Those who’ve visited Madurai, must be aware of the famous Konar Mess Kari Dosai. On our every trip to Madurai, we never forget to visit this famous mess and try their special mutton / chicken kari dosai. I had been planning for a long time to try this dosai variety at home.
Few weeks back, just for the purpose of preparing this dosai, I bought prawns and tried it. I had also uploaded a video on how to properly clean Prawns. I wouldn’t say it is the exact recipe, but we were totally satisfied with the outcome. You can similarly this with mutton or chicken or minced vegetables.
Egg helps to stick the masala with dosa, so that you can easily flip over the sides of dosa and cook both the sides. You can follow two methods to use the eggs mixture. Either use the beaten eggs mixture to spread on dosa as we do to prepare egg dosa or you can mix prawn masala with the beaten eggs mixture and use it. You can do either way. I have tried both, but I always stick on to the former method.
Other dosa varieties shared,
Prawn Masala Dosa
Prawn Masala Dosa Recipe / Prawn Masala Crepe
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South Indian
- 250 gms Prawn / Jhinga / Eral – cleaned and marinated with ¼ tsp turmeric powder for 20 mins
- 2 Eggs
- Dosa Batter
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Prawn Masala Dosa
To Prepare Prawn Masala :
- Chop prawns finely. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or wok / kadhai. For tempering, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and cook for a min on low flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes, mint leaves, coriander leaves and mash the pulp. Now, add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Add marinated prawns, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt to taste.
- Stir well everything and add 1/4 cup water. Cook it covered for 10-15 mins till water is completely absorbed and you get dry masala. Add pepper powder and stir well. Cook for another 2 mins and remove from the heat. Keep it aside.
To Prepare Dosa :
- Prepare dosa batter and keep it aside. Break the eggs and beat them well. Add little salt. You can use it as it is or mix prawn masala with the beaten eggs and give a stir. I didn’t mix the masala with eggs.
- Heat a tava or frying pan. Grease with little oil / ghee. Pour a ladleful of dosa batter and spread it evenly like we do to prepare uthappam. Take a spoonful of beaten eggs mixture and pour it over dosa. Spread it nicely.
- Take a spoonful of eral masala and spread it over dosa. Add little oil all over the edges. Switch to low-medium flame. Carefully, flip over the other side of dosa and add little oil.
- Cook for few mins and flip over again. Once it is cooked on both the sides, remove from the heat and proceed with the remaining masala and batter. Serve this hot with chutney and any non veg curry.