Ragi Cholam Puttu Upma, an easy, healthy and delicious puttu upma made from millets. I have used the combination of ragi and jowar here. I had once used this combination to prepare Murukku / Chakli which was a super hit in my family. So once again tried this combo to prepare savory puttu cum upma.
I have used homemade sprouted ragi flour and jowar grains. You can use jowar flour, if you do not have grains. This puttu upma can be served for breakfast, snacks or even dinner. Serve this with coconut chutney or can be enjoyed without any accompaniment.
Other puttu recipes shared,
Ragi Cholam Puttu Upma
an easy, healthy and delicious puttu upma made from millets.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Snacks, Main
Cuisine: South Indian
- For Puttu :
- ½ cup ragi flour/ finger millet / kezhvaragu/ mandua/ ragulu
- ½ cup jowar / cholam / sorghum grains
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp gingelly oil
- warm water
- 2-3 tbsp grated coconut
- For Upma :
- 2-3 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp urad dal / ultham paruppu / black gram
- 1 tsp channa dal / kadala paruppu / bengal gram
- 2 green chilies – finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- salt to taste
- 1 stick curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Ragi Cholam Puttu Upma
To Prepare Puttu :
- Dry roast cholam grains for few mins till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind it in a mixer to smooth powder. Keep it aside. Heat enough water with 1 tsp oil.
- Combine cholam flour, ragi flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Add 2 tbsp warm water at a time and make crumbles of the mixture. We need not form a dough. Just make sure the mixture is wet enough to make shapes.
- If using puttu steamer, then heat pressure cooker with water. Take the cup shaped or funnel puttu steamer. Place a layer of grated coconut and spread a layer of prepared puttu mixture. Close the lid of puttu steamer and place it over pressure cooker lid.
- Once water starts boiling in cooker, place this lid and cook at low-medium flame for 10 mins. Remove from the heat and keep aside.
To Prepare Upma :
- Make crumbles from prepared puttu. Keep it aside. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. For tempering, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, urad dal and channa dal.
- Add chopped onions, green chilies and grated ginger. Saute a while. Add crumbled puttu mixture and salt if needed. Adjust the salt as we have already added salt in puttu. Stir well and cook for 5 mins. Remove from the heat and serve hot with chutney.