|Samai Siru Paruppu Murukku / Little Millet & Moong Dal Chakli|
Samai Siru Paruppu Murukku, if you are looking for murukku made without urad dal / ultham paruppu, then this recipe is for you. I had only few tbsp of urad dal left in pantry, so asked my mom for the variation and she advised to try murukku with moong dal. Though, I have already tried various murukku with the combination of urad dal and moong dal, but this is the first time made without urad dal.
You can replace samai millet with any other millets like ragi, jowar, thinai, varagu, etc.. If you use homemade flour, then it would sure give nice aroma. To make it vegan, I have not used butter or ghee. You can simply use warm oil while kneading. For additional crunch, try adding roasted and ground peanuts or soaked sesame seeds. Here, I have roasted moong dal and blended in mixer to smooth powder. Instead you can pressure cook moong dal for 2-3 whistles till mushy and use it. The below mentioned quantity yields 450 gms Murukku.
Other recipes with Samai Sirudhaniyam,
Samai Siru Paruppu Murukku | Little Millet & Moong Dal Chakli
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Snacks, Side
- 2 cup samai rice flour (little millet / sama / kutki) – homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup rice flour
- 100 gms moong dal / siru paruppu / split green gram
- ¼ cup pottukadalai / chutney gram / split roasted gram
- red chili powder – according to your need
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp butter – optional
- asofoetida / hing – a pinch
- 2-3 tbsp warm oil
- warm water – to knead
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Samai Paruppu Murukku
- Dry roast moong dal for few mins and remove from the heat. Allow to cool and blend in a mixer to smooth powder. Blend pottukadalai in a mixer to smooth powder.
- Dry roast rice flour and samai flour in a pan or kadhai till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and keep it aside.
- Combine flour mixture, ground moong dal, ground pottukadalai and salt. Add red chili powder, asofoetida and mix everything well.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp oil for few seconds and remove from the heat. Heat enough water till it reaches lukewarm stage. Remove from the heat.
- Add water to the flour mixture and knead to smooth dough. Add 1 tbsp oil in between while kneading. The dough should be smooth. Close and keep aside for 5-10 mins.
- Take the murukku press and put the dough inside. Press it to make swirls. Heat enough oil in a pan or kadhai. Once it is hot, drop a pinch of dough in oil and it should start making sizzling sound.
- Now put the murukku carefully in oil with the help of flat ladle. Cook till it turns golden brown on both the sides and oil sizzling sound stops. Similarly prepare all the murukku and store in an airtight container.