|Thoothuvalai Keerai Kootu – Herbal Green Leaf Recipes|
Thoothuvalai Keerai Kootu, a very healthy curry made from herbal greens and lentils. Thoodhuvalai / Thoothuvalai Keerai is a herbal green mainly used to cure cold, cough and asthma. Its plant is full of thorns similar to rose plant. Since its thorns are toxic, it would be better to remove the stem part while cleaning. Leaves contain very small sized thorns. But if it has big thorns, then better remove it. This keerai along with many other herbal greens are not easily available, especially at big stores. So get hold of it whenever you see this keerai. You can dry the leaves and prepare podi.
You can either use moong dal or channa dal to prepare this kootu curry. This is purely vegan preparation. This curry goes well with rasam rice or plain rice. If you are looking for more varieties of dal, then do check my post on 40 varieties of dal and sambar. I have also shared Thoothuvalai Rasam and Thoothuvalai Thogaiyal recipe which are healthy and easy to prepare. Do let us know your feedback if you try this recipe.
Thoothuvalai Keerai Kootu
a very healthy curry made from herbal greens and lentils.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South Indian
- 1 cup chopped thoothuvalai keerai / Solanum trilobatum leaves
- ¼ cup siru paruppu / moong dal / split green gram
- 2 garlic flakes
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 small tomato – chopped
- 2 dry red chilies
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- asofoetida / hing – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please check the instructions below with step by step photos.
How to prepare Thoothuvalai Keerai Kootu,
- Wash and chop keerai. Pressure cook keerai, siru paruppu, garlic flakes and chopped tomato along with 1 cup water for 2 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow the pressure to settle. Mash the mixture and keep aside. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, broken red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and asofoetida. Cook for a min on low flame. Add mashed mixture, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Stir well and add 1/2 cup water. Add more water if needed and cook till it starts boiling. Serve hot with rice.