Whole Masoor Dal Recipe, north Indian style dal preparation which is not only easy to prepare but also healthy. Masoor Dal can be tried with whole masoor dal or split masoor dal. Split masoor dal is also known as Mysore paruppu or split red lentils, which when cooked changes its color to yellow similar to toor dal. Whereas, whole masoor dal remains brown. Whole masoor dal is not easily available in Chennai. The preparation is very simple similar to other dal recipes, yet it gives different taste.
I have additionally added mint leaves to leave a nice aroma. This dal can be made more creamy by adding coconut milk or cream, which will make it look rich. But to cut down calories, it is better to avoid cream. It tastes delicious with roti or any other Indian flat bread like phulka, naan, tandoori roti,etc… To make watery curry, adjust the amount of water added.
I am also pleased to inform you all that my article on unique Bitter Gourd recipes has been published in “Complete Wellbeing Magazine” on 1st July 2015. It was great working with them and developing recipes for a magazine. It was totally a different experience. Thank you all for your continued support and feedback. I shall share the recipes soon here.
- ½ cup whole masoor dal / sabut masoor dal / whole brown lentils
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 small tomato
- 2 garlic flakes
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2-3 green chilies - chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped mint leaves
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- Pressure cook dal with 1 and ½ cup water for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mash dal and keep aside. Heat 2 tsp ghee or oil in a pan or kadai. Temper mustard seeds, cumin seeds and add asofoetida.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, ginger and green chilies. Cook for a min on low flame. Add chopped tomato and mash the pulp. Now, Add mint leaves, turmeric powder, garam masala and stir well. Add mashed dal and 1 cup water, salt to taste and stir well everything. Cook for 2-5 mins and remove from the heat. Serve with roti or rice.