Karela Channa Dal Pulao, a very healthy combination of bitter gourd and bengal gram in a flavorful pulao. This is easy to prepare just like any other pulao recipe. Replace channa dal with kabuli channa or any other pulses / lentils. I had prepared this recipe to share in Complete Wellbeing magazine for their July 2015 edition. I shall share the other 3 recipes too soon.
You can either use baby bitter gourd for little less bitter taste or the normal ones. Use the tip mentioned in the recipe procedure which will somewhat help to reduce the bitterness of this melon. If you do not wish to add tomato, then add additional 1 tbsp of curd. Serve this pulao with raita or any veg gravy. Recently, I’m not much active in blogging as I’m quite busy with my brother’s marriage preparation and few other personal commitments. I shall soon get back to the normal routine and share new and interesting recipes. If you are looking more varieties of pulao recipes, then do check my Biryani Corner page. You can also check some of my recipes with bitter gourd like Pavakkai Vaerkadalai Kuzhambu, Pavakkai Maanga Pitlai, Stuffed Bitter Gourd & Baby Bitter Gourd Sabzi.
- 1 and ½ cup basmati rice- soaked in water for 30 mins
- ¾ cup finely chopped bitter gourd / karela
- ¼ cup channa dal / Bengal gram
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 small tomato
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 4 tbsp curd / yogurt
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Mix little salt and 1 tbsp lemon juice with chopped bitter gourd and keep aside for 20 mins. Meanwhile, pressure cook dal with 1 cup water for 2 whistles. Remove from the heat and keep aside. Wash chopped bitter gourd and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Cook for a minute on low-medium flame. Add chopped mint leaves and stir well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mash pulp. Now, Add ginger-garlic paste, cooked dal with left over water and mix well. Add bitter gourd and cook it covered for 5 mins.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder and garam masala. Stir well everything and finally add yogurt. Cook it covered on low flame for 5-8 mins.
- Add 3 cup water and allow to boil. Now, Add drained rice and salt to taste. Mix well everything and cook it covered on low-medium flame till rice is done. Sprinkle lemon juice at the time of serving and serve hot with any curry of your choice.