Basbousa Cake, a middle eastern style cake made from semolina, coconut, sugar, milk and butter. This is very sweet in taste and the cake is completely soaked in sugar lemon syrup before serving. This is an egg-less version. I bookmarked this recipe from divinetaste blog and gave it a try last weekend. I always make sure to bake something whenever we have plans to visit my in-laws. So this time it was this delicious Basbousa cake. My parents and parents-in-laws loved this cake and it tasted similar to sooji halwa because of all the similar ingredients. Though, this cake is rich in calories, I treated myself with one or two slices 🙂 Leave this cake to soak overnight, which in turn gives awesome result.
Some of the egg-less cake recipes shared in my blog are Eggless Amla, Coconut & Jaggery Cake, Eggless Milk Cake , Eggless Mawa & Tutti Frutti Sponge Cake, Steamed Orange Honey Cake & Eggless & Butterless Dates Cake.
- 2 cup semolina / rava (340 gms)
- ½ cup desiccated coconut (32 gms)
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- ½ cup sugar (115 gms)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250 ml milk - at room temperature
- 150 gms melted butter
- 340 gms sugar
- 375 ml water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine semolina, desiccated coconut, cardamom powder sugar in a mixing bowl. Add baking powder and mix well. Now, add melted butter and pour milk. Mix well everything and keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C for 10 mins. Take a round / rectangle baking pan. Grease with butter and pour batter into the dish. Level it with a spatula. Keep the pan in oven and bake at 180 degree C for 30-35 mins or till the top of the cake turns golden brown.
- Meanwhile, to prepare sugar syrup, combine sugar and water in a pan. Keep it in medium flame and stir well till sugar is completely dissolved. Now, switch to low-medium flame and cook till sugar syrup reaches one string consistency. Add lemon juice and switch off the flame.
- After syrup comes to lukewarm stage, mix honey and keep aside. Once cake is ready, let it come to cool for 10 mins. Now, pour the prepared syrup all over the cake. The syrup will be absorbed gradually by cake. Let it soak for 6 hrs or overnight. The more time it takes, you will get better result. Cut into square or rectangle shapes and serve them.