Bitter Gourd Pickle / Pavakkai Oorugai, sweet and sour pickle made from bitter gourd, palm jaggery and tamarind. This is a south indian style pickle. I have used midhi pavakkai / small bitter gourd to prepare this pickle. Smaller ones possess more nutritional benefits than the regular size bitter gourd. This pickle can stored in refrigerator for 10 days. I had prepared this recipe to share in Complete Wellbeing magazine for their July 2015 edition.
Instead of palm jaggery, you can try adding sugar. But for healthy option, always try this with palm jaggery or country sugar. This pickle is easy to prepare and requires less ingredients. The pickle goes well with cooked plain rice, curd rice and even roti. If you are using regular sized bitter melon, then mix it with little salt and lemon juice. Keep aside for 20 mins and follow the below mentioned procedure to cook. If you try this recipe, please share your feedback with us.
- 100 gms small karela / bitter gourd
- 100 gms palm jaggery
- Small lemon sized tamarind balls – soaked in 100 ml water for 30 mins
- 2 tsp black gram / urad dal
- Asofoetida / hing – a pinch
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 4 dry red chilies
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Peel off the skin of karela and chop into small pieces. Keep it aside. Squeeze out tamarind pulp and extract the water. Filter tamarind water and keep aside. Heat 3-4 tbsp gingelly oil in a pan or Kadai. Temper mustard seeds and broken red chilies.
- Add chopped karela, asofoetida, cumin powder and turmeric powder. Stir well and cook for 2 mins. Now, add tamarind water and mix well everything. Cook it covered for 10-15 mins on low-medium flame.
- Add powdered jaggery and salt to taste. Cook it covered for another 10-15 mins or till all the moisture content is absorbed. Serve this pachadi / sweet pickle with roti or rice.