Nandu Kola Urundai using Paniyaram Pan, a delicious chettinadu style kola urundai recipe made with crab meat and spices. These are healthy, very light and can be enjoyed as evening snacks or as starters. I have already shared soya chunks urundai and chicken kola urundai recipe. This urundai is very flavorful. Since we are using paniyaram pan, only 1 tsp oil to fry each balls is enough. Just make sure to keep the flame low. Similarly, you can try the same with scrambled fish or prawn. This time I asked my mom to be my model and photographed her hands 🙂
Removing crab meat from the shells is a very tedious job and takes too much time. Usually, I cook crabs in water to make it soft and remove those meat from the shells. But this time, I ordered crab meat from Supreme Sea Food, Chennai which made my job very easy. They were fresh, neat and clean. All I had to do was just stir fry them and use. This is the first time I bought crab meat from them and totally satisfied with their service.
Nandu Kola Urundai Recipe Card
- 150 gms crab meat / nandu flesh
- 80 gms boiled & mashed potato
- 4 pearl onions / sambar vengayam - chopped
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp pottukadalai / roasted gram
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder / jeera
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp fennel seeds / saunf
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 1 stick curry leaves
- 1 tbsp beaten egg
- Stir fry crab meat with 1 tsp oil till you get dry bhurji style mixture. Keep it aside. Take a bowl and combine all the above mentioned ingredients except beaten egg. Mix them well and grind them to coarse paste using mixer grinder or food processor.
- Now, transfer them to a bowl and add beaten egg. Mix well everything and keep aside. Make small balls of the paste and keep aside. Heat paniyaram pan and grease with little oil. Add 1 tsp oil in each cups of pan and drop the balls in each cups. Fry them evenly on all the sides by rotating with the help of a needle like wooden stick.
- Keep the flame to low and cook, otherwise the outer layer will get cooked soon and the inner part remains uncooked. For each batch, it took 10-15 mins to cook. Serve them hot with coconut chutney or mint chutney.