Dates Kadalai Maavu Burfi / Besan Barfi, today I’m sharing an easy barfi / fudge recipe made from besan / kadalai maavu / gram flour. To make this recipe vegan, replace ghee with oil. I had already shared another version of Besan Barfi / Mohanthal which is somewhat similar to this recipe except for few ingredients.
Dates gives a nice twist to this barfi. You can also reduce the amount of sugar and increase the quantity of dates. Or you can even replace sugar with jaggery for healthier option. With the below mentioned quantity, you will get around 640 gms of Besan Barfi. Make sure to add hot oil to the besan sugar mixture which will fry besan and the raw smell will go off completely. For extra crunchiness, try adding chopped nuts like pistachio, almonds or cashew. If you are looking for more recipes to try this Diwali, then don’t forget to check my collection of more than 85 varieties of sweets and snacks.
Dates Kadalai Maavu Burfi Recipe
- 2 and ½ cup (or) 250 gms besan / kadalai maavu / gram flour
- 200 gms sugar
- 100 gms chopped dates
- 100 ml oil
- ghee / clarified butter
- ½ cup water
- Grease a plate or tray with little ghee / oil/. Heat a kadai and add 1 tsp ghee. Roast besan till raw smell goes. Remove from the heat and sieve it till you get fine flour. Mix chopped dates with besan and keep it aside. Heat sugar and water in a pan. Prepare sugar syrup by heating sugar and water in a pan.
- Once sugar is completely dissolved, change the flame to medium. Stir the syrup till it reaches one string consistency. Take a drop of syrup and check it between your thumb and fore-finger. Once it forms a single thread, switch off the flame and keep the syrup aside. This may probably take 8-10 mins. Meanwhile, heat oil in another pan.
- Now, start adding besan flour to sugar syrup and stir frequently to avoid lumps. Keep the flame to low while adding flour. Once you have added all the flour, stir it for 5 more mins. Now, add hot oil and stir again.
- Cook till the mixture start leaving the sides of the pan. Remove from the heat. Pour the mixture over greased tray or plate. Cut into square pieces or any shapes you like. Store in an airtight container and serve.