Bread & Milk Halwa, a rich Indian dessert prepared from bread, milk and cane sugar. To make it vegan, replace milk with coconut milk & ghee with light flavored oil. Or you can also try my Bread Halwa recipe which is prepared using sugar syrup.
Bread Halwa is the most famous dessert which is usually served along with Biryani and Brinjal gravy in most of the Muslim weddings or special ceremonies. I have used store bought wheat bread to prepare this halwa. But you can also give a try with homemade fresh wheat bread or multi grain bread . I have not tried this halwa with coconut milk. I shall update the recipe once I prepare that. You can replace unrefined cane sugar with jaggery or refined sugar. This halwa is very rich in taste and will make you to crave for more. The nuts give a nice crunch. I have added almonds, cashew and pistachio.
If you are looking for more halwa recipes, then do check my other recipes like Tomato Halwa, Apple Lapsi, Beetroot Dates Halwa, Wheat Halwa & Rice Coconut Milk Halwa. If you try this recipe, do share your feedback with us 🙂
- 5-7 Bread Slices (I have used Wheat Bread)
- 300 ml boiled milk
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp rose essence
- 5-6 tbsp ghee / clarified butter (or) oil
- 1 and ½ cup nattu sakkarai / unrefined cane sugar
- chopped nuts for garnishing
- Remove the brown crust and cut bread slices into 4-5 pieces. Heat 3 tbsp ghee in a frying pan or kadai. Fry bread pieces till golden brown. Switch to low flame and add milk.
- Stir well and add cardamom powder. Let it cook till bread slices becomes soft n mushy. Keep stirring once a while to avoid burning at the bottom of halwa.
- Add rose essence and stir well. Once halwa becomes thick, add cane sugar and stir well. Also, Add 1 tbsp ghee at a time and cook till it starts leaving the sides of the pan. Now, add chopped nuts and give a stir. Remove from the heat. Serve when it comes to room temperature.