Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu / Sun-dried Black Nightshade Curry Recipe is a famous south Indian style tamarind and coconut based curry. Use vathal kuzhambu powder or sambar powder for the flavor. Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu is famous in Tamilnadu and also known by other names such as kara kuzhambu or puli kuzhambu. The preparation method and ingredients are all same except for we have used sun dried vegetable here. Other sun dried vegetables like bitter gourd, cluster beans, lady finger,etc.. or a combination of all can be used in the curry. In puli kuzhambu, we use fresh vegetables.
I have already shared the recipe for Sundakkai Vathal Kuzhambu, where coconut is not used. You can follow either method to prepare this curry. The coconut paste will make the curry thick. Use coconut paste or coconut milk for the thickness. Curry can last upto 2 days if prepared without coconut. The optional ingredient Jaggery is added to bring down the sour taste.
Some of the other south Indian special curry recipes to try, Chettinadu Puli Kuzhambu, Avarakkai Vendaya Kuzhambu, Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu, Vendakkai Mandi & Pavakkai(Bitter Gourd) Maanga Pitlai. If you try any of our recipes, do share your feedback.
Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu
- 1 tbsp manathakkali vathal / sun-dried Black Nightshade
- ½ cup coconut paste
- lemon sized tamarind ball - soaked in ¾ cup water for 30 mins
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- 1 tomato - chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 or 3 tsp vathal kuzhambu powder
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds / vendhyam
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp onion vadagam
- 3 tbsp gingelly oil
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp jaggery or sugar
- Soak tamarind ball in ¾ cup water for 30 mins. Squeeze pulp and extract the juice from tamarind. Discard pulp and keep the tamarind water aside. Heat oil in a clay pot or pan. Temper mustard seeds, vadagam, curry leaves and fenugreek seeds.
- Add chopped onions, manathakkali vathal and ginger-garlic paste and stir well. Now, Add chopped tomato and mash the pulp. Add turmeric powder, vathal kuzhambu powder and give a try.
- Now, Add tamarind water and cook it covered for 5 mins on low medium flame. Add 1 cup water and salt to taste. Cook it again for another 10 mins. Add coconut paste and jaggery. Let it cook for another 10 mins. The curry will becomes thick. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with rice.