Bajra Coconut Burfi Recipe, a healthy and coconut rich Indian style fudge made from pearl millet, coconut & jaggery. If you would like to avoid ghee, replace it with light flavored oil. Bajra can be replaced by any other millet varieties. I have used fresh grated coconut here. It can be replaced by unsweetened desiccated coconut.
I had prepared this recipe for the Dec 2015 issue of Complete Wellbeing Magazine under the topic “Coconut & Coconut Water” recipes. The other 3 recipes are Foxtail Millet Coconut Kheer, Coconut Ghee Cake & Dalia Coconut Kanji. This is a gluten free recipe and I’ve not used sugar here. If you do not like the taste of jaggery, can replace it with refined sugar. The steps will be the same. For extra crunchiness, add chopped nuts like cashew, pistachio or almonds. Instead of adding bajra alone, you can adjust the flour quantity and add besan / any other millet flour / rava.
Some of the other burfi / barfi recipes shared in my blog, Dates Besan Burfi, Easy Paneer Mawa Barfi, Mohanthal, Kaju Katli & Coconut Condensed Milk Burfi. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback.
Bajra Coconut Burfi Recipe
- 50 gms bajra flour / pearl millet flour / kambu maavu
- 70 gms fresh grated coconut
- 70 gms powdered jaggery
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp coconut water
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Grease a round plate. Take a pan and dry roast grated coconut till you get nice aroma. Transfer it to a bowl. In the same pan, add 1 tbsp ghee and roast bajra flour for 5 mins on low flame. Transfer to another bowl.
- Now, add sugar, coconut water and regular water in the same pan. Heat it on low flame till you get sticky syrup. In the meanwhile, mix grated coconut, cardamom powder and roasted bajra flour in a bowl and keep aside.
- Once the syrup reaches sticky consistency, add flour & coconut mixture little by little. Stir everything quickly to avoid any lumps. Finally, add 1 tbsp ghee and stir everything well. Cook till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Transfer this mixture to a greased plate. Level it and cut it into desired shapes once the mixture comes to lukewarm stage.