Kaada Mutta Masala / Quail Eggs Curry, a south indian style quail egg curry recipe flavored with sambar powder and coconut milk. Quail Eggs / Kaada Mutta possess more nutritional benefits when compared to chicken eggs. It contains 13 % protein more than that of chicken egg, also rich in Vitamin B1 and Iron.
This is the first time I tried quail eggs, though initially I didn’t like the smell of eggs when I removed the shells after cooking, but the eggs blended well with the masala and it was delicious to have with roti. The coconut milk gives nutty flavor to the dish and make it rich. If you do not wish to try this curry with quail eggs, then replace it with chicken eggs and reduce the number of eggs added. As quail eggs are very smaller in size, I’ve used 12 eggs. In case of chicken eggs, 3 or 4 will be sufficient.
Some of the egg curry recipes prepared with coconut, Egg Masoor Dal, Egg Salna, Egg Paneer Curry, Egg & Soya Chunks Masala & Beetroot, Moong Sprouts & Egg Curry. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback.
- 12 quail eggs
- 8-10 pearl onion / sambar vengayam - chopped
- 1 small tomato - chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 tsp sambar powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder / jeera
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- asofoetida - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- ½ cup water
- Boil enough water in a pan. Put quail eggs carefully and let it cook for 5-8 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain the water completely. Allow to cool and remove the egg shells. Wash eggs and make slits across each egg with a knife. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and cook for a while. Now, add ginger-garlic paste, tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add turmeric powder, sambar powder, cumin and pepper powder. Stir well everything everything.
- Add asofoetida and give a stir. Add boiled eggs, water and salt to taste. Cook it covered for 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and cook it covered for 10-15 minutes or till you get thick curry. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with roti or any indian bread variety.