Lauki Moong Dal Cheela, a healthy and protein rich Cheela / Dosa recipe which is gluten free and also vegan friendly. The combination may sound boring, but it tastes delicious. Cheela is usually prepared with Besan, but here I have used whole green gram just like Andhra Pesarattu Dosa. Serve Lauki Cheela with coconut chutney and onion chutney. For better results, always serve this hot drizzled with ghee / oil.
I have used home grown bottle gourd which doesn’t look like the one we get in market. We grow these at my in-laws place and it tastes far better than the another variety. Bottle gourd is very nutritious and also low in fat and cholesterol, it perfectly blends with moong dal and they make a great combination. Lauki can be replaced by grated snake gourd / Podalangai. I have also shared the recipe for moong dal cheela. Some of the gluten free dosa recipes shared in my blog, Sweet Corn Adai Dosa, Barley & Brown Rice Dosa, Balloon Vine Leaves Dosa & Ragi Dosa. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback.
- 1 cup whole green gram
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- ½ cup grated lauki
- 2 green chilies – chopped
- 1 inch ginger – chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Asofoetida – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Soak whole green gram in enough water for 5 hours. Wash and drain green gram. Blend green gram, ginger and chilies in a mixer to smooth batter adding enough water. Transfer the batter to a mixing bowl.
- Add grated lauki, chopped coriander leaves, salt, rice flour and asofoetida. Now, Add water if needed and prepare batter just like of dosa batter consistency.
- Heat a Tava or frying pan. Take a ladleful of batter and pour over the Tava. Spread the batter in circular motion from inside out. Pour a tsp of oil / ghee all over the sides of cheela and cook till it turns golden brown on both the sides. Serve it hot with chutney.