Instant Barley Rava Idli, a healthy breakfast / dinner recipe which doesn’t require any fermentation. To make this Idli even more colorful, add finely chopped veggies like carrot, beans, beetroot, etc. to the idli batter. It not only changes the looks of Idli, but also makes it more nutritious. Serve Barley Rava Idli with mint or coconut chutney, idli podi and sambar or try this Kongunadu Style Potato Curry. This is easy to prepare and doesn’t require much time except for the soaking time required for barley. For the basic preparation of Idli recipe, do check my post on how to make soft idli batter using mixer grinder.
Barley can be either replaced by oats or vermicelli. But there is no need to soak oats or vermicelli. Ground spinach / palak or carrot can also be added to the idli batter to make it more nutritious. Some of the idli recipes shared in my blog, Mini Strawberry Podi Idli, Thinai Idli, Oats Rava Idli & Rava Vermicelli Idli. If you try any of my recipes, please do share your feedback with us.
Barley Rava Idli Recipe
- ½ cup semolina / rava
- ½ cup barley
- 2 finely chopped green chilies
- ½ cup curd / yogurt
- 1 tsp eno fruit salt
- ¼ cup water or more if needed
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp urad dal / ultham paruppu / black gram
- 1 tsp channa dal / kadala paruppu / split bengal gram
- Soak barley in enough water overnight. Next day, drain the water completely and grind barley to smooth paste adding little water. Transfer to a bowl. Heat 1 tsp oil in a Kadai. Temper mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal. Add chopped chilies and saute a while.
- Add semolina and roast for few minutes. Switch off the flame and add this mixture to the ground barley paste. Take a bowl and add curd. Whisk it well using hand whisk. Add ¼ cup water and whisk it again. Now, Add this to the rava-barley mixture. Add salt and mix everything well.
- To prepare idli, fill idli cooker / steamer with required level of water. Once it starts boiling, grease idli plates with little oil. Now, take the idli batter and add 1 tsp eno salt. Mix everything well. Now, add 1 or 2 tbsp of idli batter in each cups of idli plate. Steam cook for 10 minutes. Serve Barley Rava Idli with coconut chutney or mint chutney.