Oats Puttu Recipe, how to prepare steamed oats with cardamom. Today we are going to see the recipe for healthy puttu made from oats and rice flour. The regular puttu is made more nutritious and healthy by including oats. The preparation of puttu is very simple. Oats is dry roasted and ground to fine semolina like powder. Oats and rice are combined together and steamed to perfection. For extra flavors, we add ground cardamom and grated coconut.
Instead of sugar, try palm jaggery to get more nutritional benefits. Puttu, a very light food and can be served for either breakfast or evening snacks. They stay good for 2 days if refrigerated. Before serving, keep it at room temperature for 30 minutes or reheat in an oven. Oats puttu can be made either sweet or savory. Serve savory oats puttu with kadala curry for dinner.
I have already shared few version of puttu. Some of them are Ghee Puttu, Sweet Ragi Puttu, Puttu Arisi, Ragi Cholam Puttu Upma and Barley Egg Puttu. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
How to prepare Oats Puttu
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup rice flour (homemade / store bought)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- warm water
- 1 tsp gingelly oil
- ¼ cup grated fresh coconut
- ½ cup grated palm jaggery / karupati / regular jaggery / sugar
- First, dry roast oats for few seconds and remove from the heat. Grind to fine powder. Combine oats powder, rice flour, cardamom powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add 2 tbsp warm water at a time and make crumbles of the mixture. We need not form a dough. The mixture should be wet enough to make shapes.
- If using puttu steamer, then heat pressure cooker with water. Take the cup shaped or funnel puttu steamer. Place a layer of grated coconut and spread a layer of prepared puttu mixture. Close the lid of puttu steamer and place it over pressure cooker lid.
- Once water starts boiling in cooker, place this lid and cook at low-medium flame for 10 mins. Remove from the heat and keep aside. Make crumbles from prepared puttu. Now, add grated jaggery to it and mix everything well. Serve hot or cold.