Tofu Peas Biryani, learn how to prepare tofu and green peas biryani flavored with homemade biryani masala powder. An aromatic and delicious biryani prepared with coconut milk and seeraga samba rice.
We are not a big fan of Tofu but once a while I prepare something Indian with tofu. Just like Paneer, you can use tofu to prepare any indian recipe like biryani, pulao, curry or tikka. I have even tried ladoo recipe. Tofu and coconut milk combination works very well. Most of my recipes will have this combo. This recipe is not vegan friendly as I have used curd.
To prepare biryani masala powder, we need all the below mentioned spices. Always make sure to prepare biryani powder in small batches. I do not keep it long for more than a month like other spice powders. I made this biryani using seeraga samba rice, but you can replace it with basmati rice. Serve this biryani with onion raita and any veg or non veg gravy according to your choice.
Some of the tofu based recipes shared in my blog, Tofu Tikka Masala, Grilled Tofu Sandwich, Ginger Garlic Tofu Curry and Chettinadu style Tofu Masala. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
How to prepare Tofu Peas Biryani
- To prepare Biryani Masala Powder:
- 4 cloves
- ½ cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp shah-jeera / black cumin seeds
- 2 mace
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp saunf / fennel seeds
- 2 green cardamom
- 2 black cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- For Biryani:
- 1 and ½ cup seeraga samba rice or basmati rice - soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 200 gms Tofu - cut into cubes and fried till golden brown
- ½ cup fresh green peas
- 1 big onion - sliced
- 1 green chili - chopped
- ¼ cup chopped mint leaves
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp curd / yogurt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 2 cup coconut milk
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ cup water
- salt to taste
- To prepare Biryani Masala Powder, dry roast all the ingredients mentioned under "To prepare Masala Powder" except for powder till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind the whole spices with pepper powder and nutmeg powder to coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 or 2 tbsp groundnut oil in a pan. Shallow fry tofu cubes till it turns golden brown. Remove from the oil and keep aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil in the same pan and add sliced onions. Saute a while. Add chili and ginger-garlic paste. Stir well.
- Add mint and coriander leaves. Give a stir. Add fried tofu, turmeric powder, chili powder, biryani powder and coriander powder. Mix well everything.
- Add curd and little salt. Now, add ½ cup water and cook it covered for 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and more water if needed. Stir well everything and allow to boil.
- Now, add drained rice and salt to taste. Mix well everything and cook till biryani is done. Serve hot with raita.