Brinjal Dalcha / Kathirikkai Dalcha for Biryani and Pulao, a simple, healthy and nutritious side dish recipe served with biryani and pulao. Brinjal (Eggplant) is cooked with toor dal and channa dal to perfection.
Dalcha is a famous side dish variety which goes very well with biryani. We prepare veg and non veg dalcha. For non veg version, mutton is the best. For veg version, try this brinjal dalcha or mixed veg dalcha or even soya chunks dalcha. Salna for parotta and dalcha for biryani is the famous combinations in south India. Dalcha can be stored in a refrigerator for 24 hours. It would not be healthy to store cooked food far more than 24 hours. We have not added coconut in the curry. But if you would like to get that rich nutty flavor, then add 1 cup of coconut milk.
Some of the other side dish varieties for biryani shared in my blog, Hyderabadi Mirchi ka Salan, Bagara Baingan, Brinjal Pachadi, Curd Chutney, Boondi Raita and Brinjal Pickle. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
How to Prepare Brinjal Dalcha
- 4-5 Brinjal / Kathirikkai / Eggplant
- 1 big onion- chopped
- ½ cup toor dal / tuvaram paruppu / split pigeon peas
- 2 tbsp channa dal / kadala paruppu / split bengal gram
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup tamarind water
- For tempering
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 dry red chilies
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Pressure cook toor dal and channa dal with turmeric powder and 1 cup water for 2 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mash dal mixture and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp gingelly oil in a pan or kadai. Add chopped onion and saute a while. Now, Add ginger-garlic paste and stir well.
- Add chopped brinjal, tamarind water, turmeric powder, chili powder, asofoetida and cumin powder. Mix well everything and let it cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked dal and salt to taste. Stir well everything and add 2 cup water or more if needed. Cook it covered for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- For tempering, heat 1 tbsp oil in another pan. Add mustard seeds, red chilies, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Add tempering to the curry. Serve hot with biryani or pulao.