Kothavarangai Verkadalai Poriyal, an easy, simple and delicious south Indian style stir fry made from cluster beans (gawar phali) and peanuts.
I learnt this easy recipe from my mother in law. She uses verkadalai podi in most of the simple stir fries like with avarakkai, pavakkai and sorakkai. The taste differs when you add this podi. Though it is optional but give a try once and you will not regret.
Kothavarangai / Cluster Beans is highly nutritious just like any other vegetable. We use it to prepare dry poriyal, curries or combine with mutton to prepare curry. One of the famous recipe is kothavarangai vathal made during summer. You can either boil this vegetable or steam before using in recipe. When you boil, do not throw the water, instead use it to prepare curry or cook rice or use it to knead roti dough.
In this recipe, I have steamed the vegetable along with matki sprouts so do not get confused with the photo 🙂 Since we are adding peanut podi, use peanut oil to get the most flavor. If you do use peanut oil, replace it with gingelly oil or coconut oil. Some like to add grated coconut along with peanut podi, but it is totally optional.
Kothavarangai Verkadalai Poriyal Recipe
- 125 gms kothavarangai / cluster beans - boiled or steamed for 10 minutes
- 1 medium onion - finely chopped
- 2 dry red chilies
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 tbsp peanut podi
- salt to taste
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please check below for the instructions.
How to prepare Kothavarangai Poriyal
- Boil or steam chopped cluster beans for 10 minutes. Allow to cool and keep aside. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chilies. Add chopped onion and cook for a while. Now, Add cooked cluster beans and turmeric powder. Stir well everything.
- Add salt to taste and cook it covered for 5-8 minutes. Now, add peanut podi and stir well for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve with rice and curry.