Wheat Flour Murukku / Atta Chakli / Godhumai Maavu Murukku, today we will see how to prepare an easy and crispy steamed wheat flour murukku with step by step photos. The recipe is similar to Maida Murukku.
Wheat flour is steamed and kneaded together with other ingredients to smooth dough. The purpose of steaming maida or wheat flour is to avoid stickiness. You can either deep fry these murukku or bake them for healthy version.
Along with wheat flour, I have added roasted and ground urad dal – pottukadalai flour for the crispiness. Apart from these two, you can try adding crushed garlic for the extra flavor or sesame seeds for the crunchiness. These are totally optional. There is no need to add rice flour to this murukku. Wheat flour should be steamed for minimum 15 minutes.
For the below mentioned quantity, you will get 20 murukku. For the big batch, adjust the measurements accordingly. Wheat murukku tends to absorb more oil while frying, so drain those excess oil using absorbent tissue paper. The left over murukku dough can be used to prepare ring murukku / chegodilu.
If you are looking for diwali special snacks recipes, then do check my post. I have shared more than 12 varieties of murukku / chakli and plan to share more. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Wheat Flour Murukku Recipe Card
- 1 cup wheat flour
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp urad dal / ultham paruppu
- 1 tbsp pottukadalai / roasted gram
- salt to taste
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- warm water - to knead
- 2 tbsp warm oil for kneading
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Easy Wheat Murukku
- Sieve wheat flour and steam cook for 20 mins. For steam cooking, fill the vessel (idli cooker or steamer) with enough water. Spread flour on a clean cloth and keep it over provided plate. Cook it on low-medium flame.
- Take the steam cooked flour carefully from the cloth and add it in a wide mixing bowl. Break the the lumps formed with ladle, since flour will be very hot to handle with bare hands. Sieve the flour again. Grind pottukadalai in a mixer to smooth powder. Keep it aside. Roast urad dal and grind in a mixer to smooth powder. Keep it aside.
- Combine wheat flour, urad dal powder, pottukadalai powder, red chili powder, asofoetida and salt in a wide mixing bowl. Mix well everything. Add enough warm water and knead to smooth dough. Add warm oil. Knead it again and keep aside for 5-10 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan or kadai on low flame. Take murukku press and fill it with portion of dough. Press it on a newspaper to form round swirls. Prepare it till oil gets hot. To check oil, drop a pinch of dough in oil and it should come up immediately. Change the flame to low-medium and deep fry the swirls in batches. Fry till it turns golden brown and oil sizzling sound stops. Remove carefully from oil and drain the excess oil using an absorbent tissue paper. Store in an airtight container and serve.