Easy Prawn Tikka Biryani Recipe / Manpaanai Eral Biryani, today we will see how to prepare an easy and delicious prawn tikka biryani made south indian style with step by step photos. This biryani is prepared using clay pot / mud pot / manpaanai. Biryani is filled with the rustic flavors just like village food. I have shared a post on how to clean prawns and also a video.
Prawn tikka is prepared just like any other tikka recipe. I have used the left over marination and the oil used to shallow fry prawn as the base to prepare curry for biryani. After shallow frying prawns, just add little water to the oil which will have the masala. Mix the masala with water and use it to prepare biryani. You can either deep fry or shallow fry or grill prawns.
If you do not have clay pot, no need to worry, you can prepare this biryani using a biryani vessel or pressure cooker. You can either use seeraga samba rice or basmati rice here. The same way you can prepare tikka biryani with fish, chicken, mushroom, mutton, paneer or tofu.
I have marinated prawns for 3 hours but if you are using vegetables then no need to marinate for long, 30 minutes should be fine. I have not added tomato. If you wish then add 1 small tomato. Coconut milk can also be added to the biryani.
I always use either pressure cooker or indolium biryani vessel to prepare biryani. But after preparing biryani in a clay pot, I have become a huge fan of its taste. It has got a nice and unique flavor. Just give a try once. The clay pot I use can prepare biryani to serve 3 people. I find dum cooking method is best when using clay pot for biryani as the bottom layer doesn’t get burnt.
If you are looking for prawn recipes, then do check my compiled list. Some of the easy biryani recipes shared in my blog, Prawn Biryani, Crab Biriyani, Boiled Egg & Coconut Milk Biryani, Dindigul Chicken Biriyani and Chettinadu Mutton Biriyani. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Manpaanai Eral Biryani
- 350 gms prawn - cleaned and deveined
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4-5 tbsp thick curd / yogurt
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 small onion - chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 dry red chilies
- 4 cloves
- ½ cinnamon stick
- ¼ tsp saunf / fennel seeds
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 1 chopped green chili
- 1 and ¼ cup basmati rice - soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 1 big onion - sliced
- ½ cup mint leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ½ lemon juice
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Easy Prawn Tikka Biryani
To Prepare Prawn Tikka and Green Paste:
- Marinate prawn with turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala, ginger garlic paste, cumin powder and curd. Add salt to taste and mix well everything. Keep it aside for 3 hours. If using otg or microwave oven then grill them for 20-25 minutes at 200 degree C. I have shallow fried prawns.
- Take a pan or kadai. Add 4 tbsp oil and fry prawns till they turn golden brown. Remove prawns and keep aside. Add 1 cup water to the oil in which you fried prawns and mix well. Also preserve the left over marination. Grind chopped onion, green chili, dry red chilies, ginger garlic paste, cloves, cinnamon, fennel seeds and mint leaves to smooth paste without adding any water. Keep it aside.
To Prepare Biryani:
- Heat a clay pot and add 1 tbsp ghee. Add sliced onions and saute a while. Now, add mint leaves and stir well. Add green paste, left over marination and mix well everything. Now, add prawn tikka and stir well with masala.
- Add 1 cup preserved oil-masala water, 1 and 1/4 cup water and lemon juice. Close the lid and cook for 5 minutes on low medium flame. Add washed and drained rice and salt to taste. Mix well everything and close the lid.
- Cook for another 5-8 minutes. Keep checking frequently once after 2-3 minutes if the water level reduced. We do not want the biryani to get burnt at the bottom. Once rice is 3/4 cooked, switch flame to low and keep a tava on stove top.
- Now, keep the biryani pot above tava and cook it covered on low-medium for another 10 minutes. Switch off the flame and do not disturb the pot. At the time of serving, open the lid and mix everything with a fork. Serve biryani with raita or any veg / non-veg gravy.