Paniyaram Varieties, I have compiled a list of 12 kuzhi paniyaram recipes shared in my blog over a period of time. I have shared both sweet and spicy / kara paniyaram recipes. Kuzhi Paniyaram is a famous snack or dinner prepared almost every where in tamilnadu. I have tried paniyaram with wheat flour, maida, rice flour, millets (ragi, bajra, cholam, thinai, varagu and kuthirvali), rava and brown rice. I have tried paniyaram with keerai, beetroot, banana and plums.
Fermented idli / dosa batter is used to prepare kara paniyaram and mixed with sauted onion, chilies and vegetables like carrot, beans, etc.. For sweet paniyaram, always use jaggery for the healthy version. The best chutney recipes to go with spicy paniyaram are coconut chutney, mint chutney or capsicum chutney. Always use ghee / clarified butter to sweet paniyaram which gives a rich taste.
Paniyaram is easy to prepare and requires a pan with more than 7 deep holes to pour the batter. You can find pan made of cast iron, soapstone, brass and non stick. Initially, I used to prepare paniyaram in a non stick pan but later shifted to cast iron and soapstone. Paniyaram are healthy and for each paniyaram it need only 1-2 tsp of oil / ghee. Paniyaram pan is used to fry bonda, kola urundai, medhu vadai and manchurian. If you try any my recipes, then do share your feedback with us. I hope you find this list of paniyaram varieties useful.
Collection of Paniyaram Varieties
Sweet Paniyaram Recipes
- Sweet Beetroot Thinai Paniyaram, a healthy & nutritious south Indian style dessert prepared from foxtail millet / thinai, beetroot, oats and jaggery. replace thinai with millets like samai, ragi or kambu.
- Cholam Innipu Paniyaram, healthy, gluten-free, vegan, mild & sweet paniyaram loaded with the flavors of banana and cardamom powder.
- Wheat Bajra & Karupati Paniyaram, as the name suggests, this healthy paniyaram variety is prepared from wheat flour, bajra, rice flour, banana and palm jaggery.
- Brown Rice Paniyaram, another paniyaram version made from brown rice, urad dal, maida, jaggery and then fried in ghee.
- Muttai Paniyaram, spongy paniyaram recipe made using egg, milk, maida, sugar and rava. replace maida with wheat flour for healthy version.
- Plum Nei Appam, a fruity paniyaram with the flavor of plums and made using rice, rava, banana and jaggery.
- Rava Paniyaram, plain rava paniyaram made using maida and sugar. replace maida with wheat flour and sugar with jaggery.
- Banana Paniyaram, one of my favorite paniyaram prepared using maida and banana, use ghee to fry them.
Spicy / Kara Paniyaram Recipes
- Keerai Paniyaram, spicy paniyaram prepared using fermented batter. traditional soapstone cookware used to prepare keerai paniyaram.
- Millets Kara Paniyaram, a healthy combination of millets (thinai, varagu, samai) and mudakathan keerai in kuzhi paniyaram.
- Carrot Paniyaram, fermented batter mixed with carrot, onion, chilies and ginger and then fried in paniyaram pan.
- Panchratan Dal Adai Paniyaram, a healthy and protein rich snacks recipe prepared with a mixed combination of Channa Dal, Toor Dal, Moong Dal, Urad Dal & Masoor Dal.