South Indian Chicken Biryani Recipe / Tamilnadu style Chicken Biryani with step by step pictures, today we will see how to prepare an easy home style chicken biryani recipe using dum method. To prepare this biryani, you can replace chicken with prawn, mutton or egg. I have shared many versions of chicken biryani recipes, especially south indian styles. This easy south indian chicken biryani is also one among them. Serve this delicious and aromatic biryani with raita, dalcha and any non veg gravy.
Some of the side dishes to try with biryani are Brinjal Pachadi, Brinjal Dalcha, Mirchi ka Salan, Boondi Raita and Mutton Dalcha. This easy biryani can be also prepared using pressure cooker. To prepare chicken biryani, first we need to prepare masala using shallots / chinna vengayam, green chilies and spices like cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise and bay leaf. The masala paste can be prepared using mixer grinder or ammi kallu (grinding stone). The paste should be coarse and not smooth, so do not add water while grinding.
Broiler chicken takes less time to cook when compared to country chicken / naatu kozhi. Moreover, we are going to cook using dum method, so cook chicken along with other ingredients and masala for 5-8 minutes. If you are using mutton, then pressure cook for 7-8 whistles and cook the masala further with rice without weight.
Some of the other chicken biryani recipes shared in my blog, Dindigul Chicken Biriyani, Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biriyani, Mumbai Style Chicken Biryani, Ambur Chicken Biriyani and Zafrani Chicken Biriyani. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Easy South Indian Chicken Biryani
- 150 gm shallots / sambar vengayam - skin peeled
- 2 green chilies - chopped
- 6 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 300 m Chicken - cleaned, washed and marinated with little turmeric powder for 20 minutes
- 3 cup basmati rice (or) seeraga samba rice - soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 2 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes - chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp curd / yogurt
- salt to taste
- 1 and 1.2 tsp coriander powder
- 4-5 tbsp peanut oil
- Please check the instructions below.
Home style Chicken Biryani Recipe
- Marinate chicken with little turmeric powder and keep aside for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare masala paste by grinding shallots, green chilies, clove, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf and star anise to coarse paste. Do not add water while grinding. Keep it aside.
- Take a pot or pressure cooker. Heat 4-5 tbsp oil. Add chopped onions and cook for a while. Now, add chopped tomatoes and cook it covered for a minute. Mash the pulp. Add ground masala paste, turmeric powder and marinated chicken.
- Stir well everything and cook for a minute. Now, add ginger garlic paste, chili powder, coriander powder, mint leaves, coriander leaves, curd and combine everything well. Now, add 1/2 cup water and mix well. Cook it covered on low medium flame for 5-8 minutes without weight.
- Add 5 cup water (we have already added 1/2 cup water plus chicken will leave water while cooking) and allow to boil. Add washed and drained rice, salt to taste and combine well everything. Cook it covered on low medium flame for 8-10 minutes. Now, place iron tava on stove and keep cooker. Let it cook on dum for another 10 mins on low flame. This method will give you separated rice grains. Serve biryani with raita, brinjal pachadi and any non-veg gravy.