Ambur Vegetable Biryani, today we will see the famous south indian style biryani variety made using vegetables like carrot, beans, potato and peas. Ambur is well famous for star hotel biryani which I have tried ‘n’ number of times. They serve only chicken or mutton biryani.
I had this cravings for veg biryani since very long time. Finally, tired my hand preparing this delicious biryani which didn’t disappoint me, though I had added little less salt 🙂 Ambur Veg Biryani is prepared using dum method. Pre cook basmati or seeraga samba rice till it is 3/4 th cooked and prepare vegetable masala. Finally, layers of cooked rice and veg masala are cooked together using dum method for some time. You can also add cauliflower to this biryani apart from the other vegetables I have mentioned in the recipe. Similarly, try ambur biryani using soya chunks or mushroom.
Veg biryani can be served with onion raita and brinjal thokku or dalcha. Non vegetarians can serve this with Mutton Dalcha or any other non veg side dish. If you are looking more number of biryani varieties, then do check my page Biryani Corner.
Some of the other veg biryani recipes shared in my blog, Hyderabadi Vegetable Dum Biryani, Vegetable Brinji Rice, Kuska Biriyani, Raw Jackfruit Biryani and Achari Paneer Tikka Biriyani. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Ambur Vegetable Biryani
- 1 and ¾ cup basmati rice or seeraga sambar rice - soaked in water for 20 minutes
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp oil
- 6 cup water
- 1 cup chopped vegetables (potato, green peas, carrot, beans)
- 2 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 1 green chili - chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato - chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 3 tbsp curd / yogurt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 4 cloves
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 green cardamom
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- ½ cup water
- salt to taste
- Please check below for the instructions.
How to prepare Veg Dum Biryani / Ambur Vegetable Biryani
To prepare Vegetable Masala:
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker or pan. Temper cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and cardamom. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Cook for 2 minutes. Now, add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add mint and coriander leaves, give a stir and add ginger garlic paste.
- Cook for a while. Add turmeric powder, chili powder and coriander powder. Mix well everything. Now, add curd and salt to taste. Stir well and add 1.2 cup water. Close the lid and pressure cook at high flame for 2 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
To cook Rice:
- Soak basmati rice for 20 mins. Boil 6 cup water in a vessel. Once it starts boiling, add washed & drained rice to it. Add salt to taste, 1 tsp oil and sprinkle lemon juice. Cook it on medium-low flame till it is 3/4 th cooked.
- The rice grains will be long & firm but not hard. And the grains will be separate. At this stage, remove from the heat and drain the water completely. Keep it aside.
For Dum process:
- Take the same pan or cooker in which you have cooked veg masala. Pour a ladle full of masala to the pan and spread it nicely. Now spread another layer of half cooked rice. This way, prepare layers of veg masala and rice.
- Heat a flat frying pan or tava. Keep the cooker on tava, remove the cooker weight and close the lid. Cook on low flame for 10-15 mins. Switch it off and remove from tava only at the time of serving. Mix everything well and serve hot.