Andhra style Mutton Pulao, learn how to prepare mild flavored andhra style mutton pulao recipe with step by step photos. Fresh ground masala prepared from dry chilies, curry leaves and ginger garlic leaves a unique flavor to the dish.
I have already tried andhra style chicken and prawn pulao. Both were hit at my home. So this time tried with mutton and satisfied with the result. The recipe doesn’t require mint or coriander leaves, tomato or curd. This is a very simple and easy to prepare pulao, which goes very well with raita and any non veg gravy. Since the pulao has very mild taste, it would be better to pair it up with any spicy curry or gravy.
Seeraga samba or basmati rice can be used to prepare mutton pulao. Another important ingredient of mutton pulao is coconut milk, which gives it mild flavor and taste. Use first thick coconut milk for the recipe. I have tried dum method of cooking because of seeraga samba rice. I’m still not comfortable with using pressure cooker to prepare any seeraga samba based rice dish. So use either pressure cooker or pot to prepare this delicious mutton pulao.
Some of the other pulao varieties shared in my blog, Karela Channa Dal Pulao, Peas Bread Pulao, Aloo Methi Pulao, Saamai Pulao and Achari Mushroom Matar Pulao. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
How to prepare Mutton Pulao
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 20-30 curry leaves
- 300 gm mutton - cleaned and washed
- 2 and ¼ cup basmati or seeraga samba rice - soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 2 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 green chilies - chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cup coconut milk
- salt to taste
- 4 cloves
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 mace
- 1 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1 green cardamom
- Please check the instructions below.
Andhra style Mutton Pulao Recipe
- Wash mutton pieces and marinate with little turmeric powder. Keep it aside for 10 minutes and then wash it again. Prepare the paste by grinding dry chilies, ginger garlic paste and curry leaves with little water to smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, mace and cardamom. Saute a while. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Cook for a minute. Add mutton pieces, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Stir well. Add 1/2 cup water and salt to taste. Close the lid and pressure cook for 5-7 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Keep the cooker again on flame and heat the masala. Add 3 cup thick coconut milk and 1 cup water. Mix well everything. Allow to boil. Now, add washed and drained rice, salt to taste and lemon juice. Mix everything and close the lid without weight.
- Let it cook on medium flame for 5-8 minutes. Now, keep a tava on flame and place the cooker above tava. Cook on dum for 10-15 minutes or till rice is done. Serve andhra style mutton pulao with raita and non veg gravy.