Potlam Chicken Varuval, learn how to make potlam chicken varuval / south indian style chicken masala in banana leaf at home with step by step photos.
My mom used to often make this masala when we were kids. The best way to cook is to prepare this masala with small chicken pieces. This way you will get more juicy chicken. I haven’t tried this masala with naatu kozhi / country chicken. I shall try it and update in the blog. Till then, you can try this potlam masala with broiler chicken.
Chicken should be pre cooked with onion, tomato, ginger garlic paste and other spices for at least 8-10 minutes. Allow the masala to cool down and then wrap in a banana leaf. I have always tried potlam masala recipe on stove top or steamer method. Those who don’t have oven or otg, can try this recipe using steamer or cook in pan. For healthy version, try either steamer method or oven method. For the crunchiness, add few chopped coconut bits in the masala while cooking chicken. Use coconut oil or peanut oil while frying leaf pockets for the authentic taste.
Some of the other recipes prepared using banana leaf, Broccoli masala, Chemmeen Pollichattu, Baked Whole Fish Masala and Ayala Meen Fry. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Potlam Chicken Varuval Recipe
- 250 gm chicken
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato - finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder / jeera
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 stick curry leaves
- 1 Banana leaf
- Please check the instructions below.
How to cook Chicken Masala in Banana Leaf
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and cook for a while. Now, add ginger garlic and chopped tomatoes. Mash the pulp very well. Add chicken pieces, turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin powder, pepper powder, coriander powder and salt to taste.
- Mix well everything well and cook it covered for 8-10 minutes without adding water. Switch off the flame and remove from the heat. Allow the masala to cool down. Take banana leaf, wash it and hold the leaves at the ends. Show it over direct flame and move the sides till leaf changes its color. We are doing this so that leaf is easy to fold without worrying about tear.
- Take the leaf and spread masala. Now, fold the leaf to form a parcel and tie it with twain. I made two parcels with the prepared chicken masala. Either bake this at 180 degree C for 15 mins or follow the tava fry method like I did. Heat a non stick pan or tava.
- Pour 1 tbsp oil and allow it to spread. Keep the parcels and cook it covered for 10-15 mins. Turn over the sides of parcel once in 5 mins. The leaf will change its color and masala will smell heavenly. This is the sign your parcels are cooked. Now remove from the heat and open parcels. Serve it with rice or roti / chapati.