- Nethili Meen Fry, today we will see a very simple fish fry recipe prepared using nethili / anchovies. Nethili meen fry, a south indian style preparation, very tasty and delicious and also crispy. It can be served as snacks or as a side for any indian main coarse.
Nethili meen is marinated with turmeric powder, sambar powder, coriander powder and salt. Shallow fry them along with curry leaves for an authentic taste. I never liked batter coated fish fry recipes as they do not turn out too crispy. We have tried nethili meen fry in many restaurants and never got satisfied. They either add ready made fish masala or flours and eggs. I have always liked simple fish fry prepared using sambar powder. Apart from sambar powder, you can also add pepper powder. Always fry the fish at medium flame to get crispy texture. At the time of serving, sprinkle little lemon juice and enjoy the taste.
Some of the other fish fry recipes shared in my blog, Chutney Fish Fry, Nethili Meen Varuval, Pepper Sura Puttu, Amritsar Machli and King Fish Tikka. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Nethili Meen Fry
- 50 pieces of nethili / anchovies - cleaned and washed
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp sambar powder or more if needed
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to make Nethili Meen Fry
- Clean and wash nethili fish. Marinate with turmeric powder, sambar powder, coriander powder and salt to taste. Keep it closed for minimum 30 minutes. Heat a tava or frying pan. Add 3-4 tbsp oil and switch to medium flame.
- Place all the pieces or fry them in batch. I have fried all the pieces together. Place the fish pieces and keep curry leaves on the top. Fry till it turns golden brown and crispy. Remove from the heat and serve hot. You can sprinkle little lemon juice.