Pachai Payiru Kuzhambu Recipe, learn how to prepare whole green gram dal with step by step photos. This is a tamilnadu (south indian) style healthy dal recipe prepared using whole green gram /pachai payiru. Pachai payiru kuzhambu is easy to prepare and can be served with rice or roti.
Payiru kuzhambu is a typical village style preparation and I have used organic green gram to prepare this curry. You can either make this curry thick or thin. If serving with rice, then make it thick. Pachai payiru / whole moong dal is soaked overnight and pressure cooked on the next day till soft. Mash the dal and cook with shallots, dry chilies and cumin seeds / jeera. Some of the other dal recipes shared in my blog, Dal Tadka, Dal Makhani, Phalguni Dal, Panchratan Dal and Shajahani Dal. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Pachai Payiru Kuzhambu Recipe
- ¾ cup pachai payiru / whole green gram - soaked overnight in water
- 6-7 shallots / sambar vengayam - chopped
- 2 garlic flakes
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera seeds
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- 1 stick curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tomato
- Please check the instructions below.
How to make Whole Green Gram Dal
- Soak whole moong dal overnight in water. Nest day, drain water completely. Pressure cook moong dal with garlic flakes, tomato and 1 and 1/2 cup water. Cook for 4-5 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mash dal and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and broken red chilies. Add chopped onions and saute a while. Now, add mashed dal, turmeric powder, hing and salt to taste. Mix well everything and add 1 cup water. Allow to boil and remove from the heat. Serve hot with rice or roti.