Aloo Samosa, today we will see how to prepare aloo samosa at home. I have shared both fried and baked versions. Please do check our YouTube channel for the recipe videos and subscribe us if you like the recipe.
I have already shared mutton keema samosa recipe. We try only keema samosa at home and buy aloo samosa from the shop. But after the arrival of my boy, I have reduced eating outside and try to make most of the things at home so that he could also eat it. He liked fried version just like his dad 😏 I’m more into baked version as it turns crispy and I can eat it without any guilt.
For the samosa dough, we need wheat flour, ghee, oil and water. Just knead similar to poori dough. Not too soft. Let the dough rest for minimum 2 hours. Meanwhile, you prepare the stuffing part and keep it ready. For samosa dough , you can either use whole wheat or refined wheat or multigrain flour. I have used Multigrain flour and that’s why the colour of samosa is little dark brown when fried. Believe me they taste equally delicious.
When preparing samosa sheet, make sure it is not too thick or thin. We need water to seal the edges of the samosa. So keep everything ready before starting.
Some of the deep fried snack recipes shared in my blog, Paneer Cigar Rolls, Chicken Cigar, Fried Corn Chicken, Methi Muthia, Kalmi Bare, Homemade French Fries and Moong Dal Pakora. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
- For dough:
- 2 cup Multigrain flour
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp oil
- water - to knead
- For masala:
- 250 gms boiled potatoes - cut into cubes
- ½ cup fresh green peas / matar
- 2 onions - finely chopped
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- Hing - a pinch
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Aloo Samosa at home
TO PREPARE DOUGH:
- Sieve Multigrain flour and salt. Combine in a mixing bowl. Add ghee and oil. Crumble flour. Now, add enough water and knead to smooth dough. It should not be very soft. Close it with a damp cloth and let it rest for 2 hours.
To prepare Aloo Masala
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a kadai. Temper mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add chopped onions and sauté a while. Now add chopped Aloo and matar and stir well.
- Mash the potatoes. Add turmeric powder, hing, chili powder, Garam Masala, coriander powder and salt to taste. Mix all and cook for 5-8 minutes.
To prepare samosa:
- Take the dough and divide into equal shaped lemon sized balls. Cover the balls. Take a ball and dust with little flour. Roll it using wooden roller to make poori shaped disc. It should not be too thick or thin. Cut it into two halves using a knife. Take one half and brush little water on the half of the straight edge. Leave the curvy edges.
- Take it in you hand and fold the water applied straight edge over the back of the other straight edge to make a cone. Press it lightly to seal the edge. Since we have brushed with little water, it would be easy to seal them.
- Now, take 2 or 3 tbsp of aloo masala and stuff inside the cone. Seal the open edges using finger or press lightly with a fork. Make sure to close the edges properly. While deep frying, masala may come out if they are not sealed properly. Similarly, proceed with the remaining and make samosa.
- For Deep frying, heat a heavy bottomed kadai with enough oil. Deep fry 3-4 samosa at a time till it turns golden brown. Remove from the heat and keep aside.
- For Baking, preheat oven to 180 degree C for 10 minutes. Take a baking tray and place foil sheet. Grease with little oil. Place samosa over the sheet and brush lightly with oil. Keep inside the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Turn over the sides of samosa and bake again for 15 minutes or till done. Serve them hot for the better result.